Two Pregnant Cats - Advice Please

Jet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fiancé & I originally had one indoor male cate but when we moved into a new place we started seeing a few stray and taking care of them. Fast forward 2 years and the female has kittens, we ended up adopting the 2 female kittens. Fast forward another year to now and we are caring for a cat colony daily of 25+ cats, continuing to feed the strays outside our home, we've taken in a foster cat that was with the KC Pet Project for 6 weeks and we have our original male but the 2 female kittens we adopted are now pregnant. We were originally keeping the females away from our male but they were able to break in to each others rooms on 2 occasions so here we are. Also I do know we need to get the 3 inside spayed and neutered but due to a major health scare & me losing my job when the owner died we are just now financially stable enough to do so so please no hate on that point.

Anyway, the 2 females are sister that eat together, play together and so forth but in the past few days they have gotten a bit "testy" with each other. The girls have always fought for my attention a bit but in the past couple of days we've had some hissing and swiping. Athena should be having her litter any day now (maybe any hour) and Artemis is probably 10-15 days away. Artemis has always been the one that HAS to sleep right next to me, always wants me to play with her, for example if Athena is being pet Artemis will run over to "take her pets". Over the past 2-3 months this behavior really has died down some but in the past few day it is back with a vengeance. Is this normal? Does anyone have any experience with having 2 pregnant cats that are going to have their litters around the same time? I could really use some advice. Thanks.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They will most likely 'share' their motherly duties. Some cats don't even differentiate between litters, they feed and care for them all. They are most likely acting differently now because of the hormones. The only problem I can see is the two-week difference in the ages of the kittens. You'll have to make sure the older ones aren't pushing the younger ones away from the nipples. After a couple of weeks, the age difference won't be so noticeable. The still pregnant mama may steal a newborn too to care of, that often happens. You might want to get a scale now to daily weigh the younger kittens and make sure they are gaining at least 10 grams a day, minimum of 7 grams/day. Keep everyone away from mom at least the first day, she may attack. She may want you near while she is in labor. All the luck, PLEASE get them all spayed and neutered or you will have a hundred cats to care for. They often get pregnant again within a week of giving birth and can have at least 3 litters a year.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with above. Also, as time permits, see if you can team up with a local shelter to trap, spay or neuter, and release the colony cats so they stop breeding. Shelters will often take on the expense.

Also, check out our articles at the top of this forum. Be sure to have a can of powdered kitten formula on hand in case a kitten needs supplemental syringe feeding. The moms should each drink a dish a day for the extra calcium they need now through their nursing days.

Walmart carries cans of PetAg formula for around $10.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Thank you for helping kitties in need! While caring for 25 kitties by one couple sounds like a lot, the reality, IMO, the situation merely proves that not enough PEOPLE do enough for their own communities in helping to support the stray dog & cat populations which have needed help for generations. Instead, they foist the numerous duties upon the few who are too courageous to shirk good citizenship.
Are you able to feed good quality kitten chow? Is the cats' preferred litter unscented? Pregnant cats are most at risk for developing hypocalcemia so their instinct is to seek optimal nutrition for their own body & that sometimes makes them more antisocial/competitive. They also become hypersensitive to smell & the harsh chemical neutralizers (especially Febreze) and fragrances become extremely irritating during pregnancy & post-partum; for the safety and survival of neonates, extraordinarily supreme senses that alert readily are essential. Expectant moms like new privacy options where they feel like their upcoming family will be exceptionally safe.
If you are an information nerd like me, you may enjoy getting key takeaways from this University of Wisconsin Shelter Medicine article which covers pregnant queen care, despite the title:
Library
And, Austin Pets Alive!© has excellent downloads.
Please keep us updated!