Two mammas two litters and baby thieving

boutiquebyabre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK we've got two mamma an at one time ... They had their litters about a week apart from oneanother.

Koliapee decided she wanted to nurse Chellas babies and wouldn't stay in her bin with her babies. So I switched the babies around and she settled in with her real babies but in the wrong bin.

Problem solved? Well fkr a while but then she decided to go back to her original bin and I switched the babies around again...

All this has made Chella unhappy and now Chella is taking her babies one by one under the bed.

What do i do here? I need them confined because of other pets and 13 family members running around the house...

Ideas?

If I take one mamma from the room will Chella let her babies stay in the bin you think?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either separate the mommas and their litters completely, or weigh all the babies everyday and as long as they are all gaining weight, this means they are all being fed and I wouldn't worry.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree! As long as all are gaining weight it matters not which mama feeds them. If it appears to be an issue then separate the moms each with their own litter.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you need to separate them, but dont have place, you can perhaps get some sort of big cages. Best such for dogs, or even for birds or mices if big enough.

Celticmum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had this problem many years ago my cat had her litter and 3 weeks later my sister cat had two kittens we did not know she had them at the time I came home from school to check on my cat and found 1 of her kittens missing I started calling the kitten and he responded back to me I found him in a hedge with two newborn kittens LOL Daisey had robbed him. I put him back with his mom but she kept robbing him again and I had to go on the hunt again even after I put her and her two kittens in a safe warm spot she do it again and again so I ended up putting the two moms with the two litters in the same big box. no more problems after that and two very happy cats and the best-minded kittens ever.