Two kittens recovered from parvo but still have soft stools, what can I do to help them firm it up?

CatFriend27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since parvo (aka feline panleukopenia, feline parvo virus, FPV, feline distemper) does a real number on their digestive system, I have given them some time to heal themselves. However it has now been several weeks, and they still have soft stools.

While I was nursing them through parvo they were eating canned food and soaked dry food. Since they have been eating 100% dry food (Kirkland Maintenance Cat - what feed all the other cats). They are doing great now, but I'd like to help them firm up their stools. Tried searching the forums, came upon some old posts that sounded like they might contain some helpful tips but those links were dead.

They were both dewormed before getting FPV.

Where to start? Probiotics since they were on Clavamox? Deworm again? Canned pumpkin?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatFriend27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?
This article has a lot of very good information.

Some people do like canned pumpkin although the above article is not so much in favor of it. Are they on a probiotic like Proviable?
No I haven't started them on any probiotics yet.

S boulardii sounds like the way to go, got some on order, thanks for your reply!

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Deworming is a good idea, but I would try to firm up their stools a little first, if possible. You could try a little goats milk (raw or whole, not processed) which is a good natural probiotic and helps with nutrient absorption. Sometimes a little (1/2 teaspoon at most) of egg yolk (no whites) can help with stools as well. I would try introducing some wet food as well, especially if they have soft stool, as they need the extra moisture.