Two Kittens One Weaning One Not

tlcd76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 6 week old kittens, mom is a stray I had been feeding. I let her inside during a cold spell and she gave birth to 2 kittens. I have kept mom inside with her kittens but she is starting to crave the outdoors. One kitten has been peeing in the litter box for a week and just yesterday took her first poo in the litter box. This kitten will also drink water and KRM. The other kitten is still not using the bathroom on her own and shows no interest in anything except milk straight from mom. I don't know if I am worrying for no reason? Mom is still very attached to this kitten especially. How can I get this kitten to be more independent? Or do kittens sometime develop at different speeds?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They develop at their own pace. The second kitten will wean eventually.

Have you offered the kittens wet food yet? They also need dry kitten chow.

Do you plan to spay the mom soon? She needs to be spayed before letting her outside at all, or she will immediately get pregnant again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tlcd76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes we plan to have mom spayed before letting her back outside. I had hoped to make her a full time indoor cat but it has become obvious within the last ten days or so that is not what she wants.
I have offered the kittens wet food as well as dry food soaked in KRM. At the time those were offered the one kitten showed and continues to show no interest. The other kitten showed little interest in the food but does drink an ounce or so of KRM everyday. She is starting to be curious about our food so I am going to try her again with the wet food and some kitten chow soaked in her KRM.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T tlcd76

You may find that once mom is spayed and recovers that she is more content to be inside. She may be wanting to go out because of her heat cycle.

Begin offering food to the kittens daily. They should start eating very soon!

tlcd76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am keeping her inside until she is spayed. Technically I am not allowed pets in my apartment so I really prefer her not give me anymore kittens lol

tlcd76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is definitely part of the reason she wants outside! I hadn't thought about the fact that she may be more content to stay inside once she is spayed. That would be nice. I love her to pieces and lately there have been a couple other cats coming around and they like to start fights with her (before we brought her inside) and I worry about her safety if she goes back outside.

tlcd76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to update that little Garfield has finally joined his sister Odie in eating and using the litter box on his own! My husband convinced him to eat 2 days ago and he said when Garfield started eating I lit up like a kid on Christmas morning lol.

tlcd76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I guess he did. I was ecstatic when he finally ate for my husband. I have been stressed about him and my husband said he could literally see the weight come off my shoulders.