Two constipated cats!!

JEB573

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I could really use some advice and/or moral support right now. I have two cats, Charlie and Babygirl. Due to a diet change they became constipated. I tried the pumpkin, adding water to food and after a few days of neither cat going I started Miralax. I also started giving them both CBD but just the last two days. For Charlie I did 1/2 teaspoon miralax 2x day. That only produced 2 small, soft bm's in the last week and a half. He seems fine, appetite good and happy spirit. Not drinking enough water though. I called the vet and she had me bring him in for fluids and gave me lactulose. Well, he threw the medicine up. And he has been hiding from me for two hours so the Lactulose is a fail. He is VERY hard to handle in terms of giving him anything orally. I like the miralax because I just put it in his food. So, I would like to know how to proceed with my Charlie! I am leaning towards sticking the miralax, pushing water and CBD. My other cat Baby girl could not tolerate the Miralax. Made her very depressed and lethargic. She does like pumpkin so I have been giving 2x tsp a day. She also is not drinking enough water. I am most concerned about her because she has only gone twice in the same time frame and they were very small, loose stools. I feel worried that she might be blocked and only a little loose manages to come out around it.. She is clearly not feeling well. She threw up this morning but ate later with no further issues. However, she has been in heat this week so that can contribute to her sad spirit. AND she has an infection in her mouth. MY POOR BABY! The vet said for now to just let her rest hoping her GI system would settle down. I have her on a heating pad a few times a day to help relax her. Anyway, I have another call in to the vet but would really love to hear feedback from you guys. I am so anxious and worried about my babies. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!

Jeanne

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For Charlie if the vet gave you meds you need to administer them. I know it can be hard to do sometimes so I'll provide a link on tips and tricks to administer meds that work very well. Also if he keeps throwing up his meds or if you are unable to administer them because he isnt cooperating then you will need to contact the vet to figure out another alternative.

As for Baby Girl she should actually be pretty vocal and lovey due to being in heat I haven't seen a cat in heat become sad. This is just my experience with cats in heat..

I would truly get them both back in to the vet as soon as possible due to them not really going for so long. They should be going at least once a day.
Especially since you are worried she is blocked then she definitely needs to be seen.

Have you noticed at all if they will go in the box and strain? Will they go near the box and cry or in the box and cry and not produce anything?
How are they with their urine output?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JEB573

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Thanks for responding. No there is no signs of distress when in the box. The vet just emailed me back and suggested I try 1ml of the Lactulose instead of 3 ml for Charlie. We will see how that goes. Babygirl has a few things going on and she def gets sad. I am most concerned about her. I am going to try hydrating her via eye dropper.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did the vet recommend for her? How are their eating and drinking?
In the past week and a half how many times have they had a bm? How is their uring output?
What were they eating and what did you switch them to?
How did you change their food to the new food? Like did you change it suddenly or over time? If over time what was the process to get them from the old food to the new food?
Are they eating and drinking?

Example- I changed my cat recently and I did:
Day 1 through 4 a quarter of the new food with three quarters of old food
Day 5 through 9 half old and half new
Day 10 through 14 three quarter new food with one quarter old food
Day 15 was the start of her all new food

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is this new food a dry food or a wet food? When you added the Miralax, did you dissolve it in a little bit of water before giving it to them? That is imperative! Additionally, have you tried using a hairball paste (kind of an oily gel) along with the Miralax? When both of ours were constipated at the same time, our Vet recommended not only using Miralax, but also using the hairball paste and that did the trick.

And finally, if you feed wet food, can you try adding water to their food? That's what many of us do to make sure they are plenty hydrated.

This article may be helpful for hydration: Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite