TW white foam at mouth

devilishSoul420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(I’m 19 so please no backlash or hate towards this post this is my first time even posting on this website) Ive had this cat since 2008 he was a Russian blue from NYC dumpsters. He was a alley cat and became a loving house cat. He was anywhere between 2-5 years old when he was found. He’s been losing weight and muscle and balance the last few months but he’s still been eating, drinking and acting the same mostly, he might of had cat dementia from some of the symptoms he had like going to the bathroom on the floor and meowing randomly in the middle of the night, over drinking and eating at times, but he passed away Sunday, he was about 14-18 years old. and I sadly found him later that night after he had already passed and gone through rigormortis, but I noticed he had some white foam at his mouth. I ABSOLUTELY do not think he got into anything and I do not think he was poisoned by a neighbor or a family member and he definitely does not have rabies. He was a sweet boy and very talkative, he was fine saturday and acting like his usual self. We are not taking him for a autopsy, I burried him myself today because he was more my cat then my family’s cat and his original owner left him to me when she moved out of our house. When I found him she was also the first person I notified before even telling my family who lives here. but I’m concerned for the white foam. I have no idea what it could be caused by, but i really don’t think he got into anything or ate any bugs or gotten bit by anything, or anything. I don’t think it’s anything like that. It just worries me not knowing anything about that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sorry for the loss of your buddy. The foam could be anything - resulting from a seizure to severe nausea from a terminal illness, and many things in between. Losing weight and muscle mass can happen during the 'normal' aging process, perhaps even the balance issue. But those things would also indicate a health issue, which I understand would be harder to decipher with him eating and drinking well.

14-18 yo is still a good long life; he did well under your care, you know he very much loved and appreciated you for it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am also very sorry for your loss. While losing him is hard, it sounds as if he lived a long and happy life with you and, as he aged, began to show symptoms of extreme old age conditions which cats face. Given how long you had him, you would have known by now if someone had bad intentions toward him, if he had the habit of getting into things, or if he were showing signs of an extreme condition like rabies. (I am assuming that the vector for rabies in your area might not even include pet cats). I believe he passed from some medical condition and the foam was only related to that.

You gave him a wonderful life.