Trying To Take In Stray Mom Cat Who Just Gave Birth To Kittens

jordankhloe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My boyfriend has been feeding this stray calico a couple times a week for about two months now. We decided that we would adopt her because she is obviously domesticated and we fell in love her. Well we went to go pick her up and we found out she is pregnant and just had the kittens (the security guard who covers the alley way told us). We think the kittens are about 4 days old but we can't find them anywhere because she is living in an alley. Does anyone have any advice for finding the kittens?

And also, I know the Mom has fleas and we scheduled her for a flea bath but we can't take 4 day old kittens for a bath- any suggestions on what to do? I have flea medicine I will put on the mom, but I know not to put it on the babies. Don't want to bring fleas into the house either though.

Also, is it a bad idea to move the kittens since they are so young? I want to go back tomorrow and try to find them and just bring them all home, but I am concerned of changing too much too soon since they were just born. Even though its bad for the kittens to be out in the streets, is it better for me to leave them for a little while before I move them? And if so, how long?

Also, when we saw her tonight, she lifted her tail and sprayed. I have a cat but its a boy and he's neutered- is this normal? We were near to where I think the kittens might be hiding and I thought maybe she sprayed to mark the territory but I don't know enough about that. Anyone know why she did that, and is it something to be concerned about?

Basically, we really want to help this cat and her kittens but I need a lot more information on how to do it properly. I don't want to make things worse for them. I am just concerned if I wait to bring them home it will be too late and they won't be able to be domesticated and will be in poor health. I don't even know how they are doing since we couldn't find them, my guess is they need attention seeing as they were born in the streets. Any advice will help, thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I'm not a kitten expert, or a new? cat mom expert (not at all sure about the spraying thing) but here are two sites that might have some of the answers;
www.kitten-rescue.com
Saving Kittens
Also, maybe there's a TNR group in your area that could help with logistics?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of flea medicine is it? I know Revolution is OK for a nursing mom, but some of the stuff you buy at the store could be toxic to the babies. The best way to locate the kittens is watching her from a distance to see the area where she is going. If you follow her too closely or spend too much time around the nest, she may move them. So you have to be sneaky. When you find the nest of kittens, search carefully to make sure you get all of them. Since the cat is tame is should be easy, just put the kittens in a box and then put the mom cat in a carrier and bring her in. Will you have them in their own room? That is best so the mom gets used to being inside and has private time with her babies. The mom may be freaked out at first, if she has never been inside. But it is the best thing to do to keep her and the babies safe. Usually it is the male cats that spray, but I have heard sometimes girl cats do it too. It's a territorial thing. It usually stops after they have been fixed.