Trying to heal neck scratched raw

FosterMamaUK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So our foster cat has a liver shunt and some neurological issues. She's a happy and active little soul. However she has scratched the site where she had blood drawn on her neck until it's raw and she's lost all the fur on her neck. It was clearly infected so took her to the vet who has given her 7 days of antibiotics. Vet cannot give her anymore pain meds as she is still small and don't want to cause organ failure. She is utterly miserable.

I am cleaning neck with warm salt water and drying a few times a day to get rid of the gunk and soreness. They did also give Betafuse but this seems to irritate it further so I've stopped that. She has a sock on so she doesn't do further damage although she still scratches and the friction is irritating it but less so. She is scratching less which is good. I tried a neck sock but she pulls it straight off and gets very distressed.

We're on day 2 of antibiotics and sock. The abrasion is still gunky and the wound is still very easily irritated but there is slight improvement.

My question is, is there anything else I can do and how long should it be before starts to heal well? At what point do we remove the sock? How long is leaking gunk normal for after starting antibiotics?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If the wound was infected it's probably going to continue to drain and bit a bit gunky for a few days, even with antibiotics. You can put a little bit of Vaseline on the irritated skin to sooth it. You need the Vaseline to be slightly warm, as it's softer and easier to apply when warm. Just carefully dab a little Vaseline of the raw area after cleaning and drying it.