Trying To Gain The Trust Of Feral Kittens

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are 5. They range in ages from 3 to 5 months, the oldest two really needing TNR.
The mother of the youngest 2 has wrangled the 5 together and has been looking after and nursing them. I plan to take her in soon but I am concerned about one kitten in particular.
IMG_20170830_074734[1].jpg

The kitten is very small. The growing stopped or slowed about a month ago. I kept expecting it to die or disappear but instead it seems to thrive. Energetic, smart and all the other cats dote on it. I call it Pipsqueak, Pip or Pippa for short because I don't know the gender. I was able to see Pipsqueak passing a BM and water today, I think it probably just needs altered and worming.
I have a large sized cage and my plan is to put food into the cage and trap all 5. I should be able to get them into smaller carriers to be taken to the clinic for TNR. Because I want to catch them all at once I was planning to start hanging out in the area they nap and play in and offering canned food or yummy treats while just becoming a part of the scenery.
Does anyone else have experience with this sort of thing?
I have ferals that hang around and I feed daily, some of them even let me pick them up now. It took a lot of time. I am willing to look into any suggestion that can help hasten the process.
Everyone will be TNR'd my primary concern is Pipsqueak who I fear may not grow much bigger and could become prey once the other kittens grow up. Pipsqueak would be brought inside.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was able to pet my feral kitten within 3 days, but it was probably because he was all alone, starving, and scared. I started feeding him and then I pet him with a long handled duster. After 3 days I was able to pet him with my hand. You might need to trap yours though. There are people here with lots of experience doing that, so hopefully they can help you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
These guys aren't scared of me. They have seen me pet the older cats and they know I bring food and water.
The older ones will beg pieces of catfood from me and the "middle child" I have picked up and held a few times. He didn't like it but he didn't fight me.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you only pick up the one?
Yes. The foster litter is made up of 5 kittens from 3 moms. The two oldest were born in the woods behind my house and I did not see them until they were 3 months old. Their mom is scheduled for a spay probably next week. The second oldest is the survivor of a litter of 3 that was born under my neighbor's house. That mom isolated herself from the colony and when Edie
IMG_20170828_200927[1].jpg

stole her baby she was chased away. Even the males chase her away. The last 2 are Edie's own kids; Pipsqueak and a sibling. The sibling is almost twice the size of Pipsqueak.
The second oldest kitten is the one I have handled. He had a twin who suffered fading kitten syndrome and wouldn't leave the twin's side during the final days. Because the twin was slow to react Chingu was slow to react. Poor fellow suffered a pretty severe depression too. I didn't bring him inside back then because his mother was very protective and taking her baby wouldn't have made her trust me. I really hope to TNR her.
When Edie had her litter I could not touch her at all. I was able to trap her in the cage before she gave birth but after she gave birth she made such a mess constantly that it put her kittens in danger so I had to let her out. She lived in my husband's shed with them for a week or so and then one day moved them and I did not see them again until they were big enough to follow her to the food around 2 months.

This sounds all very irresponsible of me but our local shelter started a free TNR just this year after decades of being really an extremely awful place that killed everything that wasn't evidence in an animal cruelty case. Because they have been swamped by animals who otherwise would have been hoarded or let to live as strays animal control is no longer bringing in voluntary surrenders or helping to trap ferals for TNR. Residents have to trap, transport and release.
Strays are often loving and enjoy human contact but even ferals who accept support will reject human touch until they have no strength to avoid it. Right now I am at the point of being able to get all of them done before winter if I catch these 5 kittens. So close.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kudos to you for caring enough to do this!

Catch who you can by hand, and put them in a crate inside your home temporarily.

Begin feeding inside a crate so they will learn to go in. This should not take long. Close the door and bring inside whoever you can along the way.

Hopefully you'll get the runt Pipsqueak early on! Poor baby! Sounds like he or she needs some TLC.

Keep us posted!

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kudos to you for caring enough to do this!

Catch who you can by hand, and put them in a crate inside your home temporarily.

Begin feeding inside a crate so they will learn to go in. This should not take long. Close the door and bring inside whoever you can along the way.

Hopefully you'll get the runt Pipsqueak early on! Poor baby! Sounds like he or she needs some TLC.

Keep us posted!
I had the big cage out in their play area in late July when we were treating the sheds for fleas. I had a secured male living in one of the buildings with another cat and the buildings got infested. After I took the caged male to the shelter for adoption I left the cage out in the open and the kittens had no problem eating and drinking from the dishes left in there.
when they saw me they ran.
Pipsqueak is feisty! Looks almost like a 2 month old but developmentally is nearing 4 months. The cats in the house will like it.