Trying To Bring My Two Kittens To Go From 5 Feeding A Day To 3?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I have two kittens, a 26 week old, and a 16 week old. Currently I feed them 4 times a day, and leave food during the night to eat.

Their both not eating machines, and it'll frequently take a while to get them to eat all their food during the meals. I frequently have to move them back to their bowl after a few minutes.

The 16 week old kitten is much harder to get to eat.

My vet advised I get them both to eat twice a day, but I feel like that's two soon.

I've heard that once you start setting a fixed time the cats will know to eat quickly, but I'm really not sure.

Thoughts on this?

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Two meals a day would not have been enough for my boys at four months. They are still on three meals at nine months. I slowly increased the amount of wet during their two larger meals to make up for dropping meal number four. They get a smallish meal midday that I may or may not eliminate when they are a year old depending on their weight and what the vet says. I did stop the kibble over night when they were six months old. A few days a week I skip the small lunch meal and put about 1/8 cup of kibble in a puzzle feeder for them if I know I’ll be out and dinner will be late.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would go to three feedings a day for a while, then transition to two later on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would go to three feedings a day for a while, then transition to two later on.
What age would you suggest I transition them to two?

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I transitioned my boys to 2 meals a day when they were 6 maybe 7 months old. They took to it pretty quickly.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh really I've been feeding my boys 5 times a day for years. After 2 years or so we got them scheduled feeders.