Trusted housesitters and care.com

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am planning ahead more for me. Wondering if anyone has used these companies. For transportation and medical

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure what you mean by transportation and medical, so I probably shouldn't be replying as I was looking for a cat sitter.

I interviewed with cat sitters on care.com to look after Feeby one time. I ran into good ones and not-so-good ones. So, I think from a cat sitting standpoint, one needs to thoroughly review their profiles, which can easily trim down the list, and then look for ones who are willing to come to your home just to be interviewed. There was one that was especially promising and if I had ended up needing someone I certainly would have chosen her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I found someone on nextdoor. Unfortunately it's just her and her husband but she is willing to meet. I will give her other references. I need a driver to take me to get groceries,go to medical appointments

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked into Care.com back when my sister was caring for our father before he passed, and the reviews didn't seem very promising. If you are looking for rides, there are some companies that will take you where you are going and back for a fee. Depends on your insurance too. My sister's insurance will allow her 100 rides one way, so for doctor appoinments it counts for 2 rides. I forget what it's called, but they are uber rides.

There was someone who was at the Senior Center when they did a health fair last year who has a service where she will take you to an appointment and stay with you if you need to have a rider present with you and don't have anyone else. I do not know what a service like that would cost.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked into Care.com back when my sister was caring for our father before he passed, and the reviews didn't seem very promising. If you are looking for rides, there are some companies that will take you where you are going and back for a fee. Depends on your insurance too. My sister's insurance will allow her 100 rides one way, so for doctor appoinments it counts for 2 rides. I forget what it's called, but they are uber rides.

There was someone who was at the Senior Center when they did a health fair last year who has a service where she will take you to an appointment and stay with you if you need to have a rider present with you and don't have anyone else. I do not know what a service like that would cost.
That is the kind of service I need. Unfortunately I am not a senior yet,13 more yrs. I cannot follow a conversation so my mom would always have to go with me. She won't always be available. Money is not an issue. Do you remember the name of the service?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a senior center in Houston but it's an hour away

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is the kind of service I need. Unfortunately I am not a senior yet,13 more yrs. I cannot follow a conversation so my mom would always have to go with me. She won't always be available. Money is not an issue. Do you remember the name of the service?
It's local to this area, and it was the first I had heard of it or anything like it. But I think she will just take you to whatever procedure you are having done and sit there in the waiting room. I don't know if they do this everywhere, but if you are having any kind of procedure that you have to have anesthesia, they insist you have a driver with you and they have to sign in and wait in the waiting room. I asked when I was going to have my cataracts removed if I could take an Uber and she said no. If you don't have a driver, you don't get the procedure. It's pretty scary, really.

Maybe you could try looking for patient advocates in your area? That might be more what could help you? Sad to say, it's almost impossible to find help unless you have money. I have tried for my sister, she is alone since our father died and I'm out of state and can't travel. I hope you can find something that works for you.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if they do this everywhere, but if you are having any kind of procedure that you have to have anesthesia, they insist you have a driver with you and they have to sign in and wait in the waiting room. I asked when I was going to have my cataracts removed if I could take an Uber and she said no. If you don't have a driver, you don't get the procedure. It's pretty scary, really.
I am going to have to deal with this on March 26 when I have the cataract removed from my left eye. They insist that it can't be a drop off and pickup, someone has to be there and wait for you to be released. It will be 2 to 3 hours even though the procedure itself is only 10 to 15 minutes. I think it has to do with the sedation and the wait for the surgeon to say it's okay you can go home now. They don't want the liability of keeping an eye on someone who is essentially 'doped up'.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to have to deal with this on March 26 when I have the cataract removed from my left eye. They insist that it can't be a drop off and pickup, someone has to be there and wait for you to be released. It will be 2 to 3 hours even though the procedure itself is only 10 to 15 minutes. I think it has to do with the sedation and the wait for the surgeon to say it's okay you can go home now. They don't want the liability of keeping an eye on someone who is essentially 'doped up'.
I'm having brain surgery to hopefully stop the seizures
Surgery to tripple check where they are,monitoring,surgery assuming laser,monitoring

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It's local to this area, and it was the first I had heard of it or anything like it. But I think she will just take you to whatever procedure you are having done and sit there in the waiting room. I don't know if they do this everywhere, but if you are having any kind of procedure that you have to have anesthesia, they insist you have a driver with you and they have to sign in and wait in the waiting room. I asked when I was going to have my cataracts removed if I could take an Uber and she said no. If you don't have a driver, you don't get the procedure. It's pretty scary, really.

Maybe you could try looking for patient advocates in your area? That might be more what could help you? Sad to say, it's almost impossible to find help unless you have money. I have tried for my sister, she is alone since our father died and I'm out of state and can't travel. I hope you can find something that works for you.
Thankyou very much! My parents like to make sure I have help when they are gone. I emailed a web page to her about patient advocate

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Assisted Living, Senior Living, Home Care and Caregiver Support
It's not just senior living. When I called they gave phone numbers to call that are in my area. You do no r have to be a senior. I can live in an apartment and have people take me where ever needed,even recreation, and sit with me at a doctor's appt
For my cats Meowtel catsitters:redheartpump:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So unfortunate that my doc is out of town for 2 weeks