Trouble With Chewy And Food Cartons

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
So it took us forever to find a wet food Gohan will eat consistently ... but eventually we found he liked the Caru Stews. Bonus that the ingredients are human grade and it seems overall a really healthy choice. After switching over he put on some healthy weight (I think he’s developing a third dimension on his skinny frame!), his coat has become even softer and Olive stopped stealing the kibble so she stopped throwing up.

Of course the only place I can buy it is on chewy. No stores near me in the Denver area sell it, although I’m planning on asking around if a local pet store could order it for me.

Chewy had been doing great with the auto ship until last week. The food arrived and it seemed a few of the cartons had burst, it smelled terrible and there were some dead bugs in the box. Only one of the four cartons was salvageable and I have not attempted to feed them yet. Chewy was great and sent out a replacement right away. This one arrived in mostly the same condition, although at least two of the cases seemed ok. They are sending my third replacement now. :crash:

Has anyone else has issues getting the cartons shipped from Chewy?

Anyone else know of another online retailer for the Caru brand food? I tried searching and couldn’t find anyplace else that had it in stock.

Stupid little bugger doesn’t seem to like other foods, although we are planning on trying again soon. :sigh: why can’t cats be like any other animal and just eat whatever is around!? :cutecat:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had trouble with Chewy shipments when I mix bagged and boxed products. I purposefully split my order into two separate items with dry food in one and the wet in the other.

Have you tried this page? Find Us - Caru Pet Food - Natural Dog Food Company

If you have a mom and pop type pet store in your area you could ask them if they would stock it.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a mom and pop type pet store in your area you could ask them if they would stock it.
Yes, a couple stores in my area sell Caru so it should at least be possible for someone to order it for you, KarenKat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
I've had trouble with Chewy shipments when I mix bagged and boxed products. I purposefully split my order into two separate items with dry food in one and the wet in the other.
Definitely a good idea, in this case the Caru boxes were the only thing in the shipment. I stopped buying litter through Chewy because they would put two 40 lb jugs in one box with no reinforcement.

Yes, a couple stores in my area sell Caru so it should at least be possible for someone to order it for you, KarenKat.
That’s my hope too. Unfortunately the Caru locator page seems to have drawn a stay-out zone around my state, lol. But I’ll be going to local stores this weekend and seeing what they can do for me.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have issues..but I taljed with a supervisor..n they got it NOW where my order is checked by a supervisor..before it ships...No issues with my orders since..but NOT with ure particular item though..Good luck

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
They said my next replacement order will be checked by a supervisor - if I get even one more bad shipment I will request every order to be checked. I don’t know how they possibly could have boxed this shipment up the way it was. The burst food was black, so I’d have to think it had been like that a while. Three day old food would just be dry and crusty, maybe starting to get really bad. This was late stage grossness :barfgreen:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that this is not all the problem of the FedEx guy throwing the box onto your porch if it was seemingly spoiled. I have never received anything that seemed suspicious from Chewy and their service has always been good when I have complained, so if that is your only option, I would give them another chance. They once refunded me money because I wrote a bad review without even asking for a refund, so I was impressed that someone is actually reading this stuff.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They said my next replacement order will be checked by a supervisor - if I get even one more bad shipment I will request every order to be checked. I don’t know how they possibly could have boxed this shipment up the way it was. The burst food was black, so I’d have to think it had been like that a while. Three day old food would just be dry and crusty, maybe starting to get really bad. This was late stage grossness :barfgreen:
the later stage grossness I received from chewy was the case full of worms, so yeah, it happens :) Hopefully we'll never know what the last stage is ;-)
I'd be surprised if you won't find a pet shop willing to order this food for you, but I'm pretty sure it will be more expensive

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t mind paying a little more if I don’t have to worry if the food is safe to eat - obviously a significant amount more I’d need to look into

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be surprised if you won't find a pet shop willing to order this food for you, but I'm pretty sure it will be more expensive
I don’t mind paying a little more if I don’t have to worry if the food is safe to eat - obviously a significant amount more I’d need to look into
Sometimes local stores actually have cheaper prices (even significantly cheaper) than Chewy. One of our local stores will sometimes even match competitors' prices so it's worth remembering how much Chewy charges!

All that said, sometimes Chewy is far cheaper! But I know what you mean KarenKat, sometimes it's just worth knowing it's safe to eat and hassle-free is worth paying a little more. I also like the convenience of local shopping so try to buy locally whenever I can. I know, though, that I'm very lucky to have a lot of stores to choose from where I live.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My vet has even gotten wise enough to know that if he wants to sell the prescription food he has to be competitive with Chewy's prices, so it does pay to check as much as you can. But he cannot deliver as quickly as they can.