Forum Helper
Purraise
Good luck. Make sure you have some bandaids handy. :biggrin:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I find thumb nails the hardest to clip! Mind you, Ruby HATES me even touching her claws, let alone trying to trim them, the the thumbs always seem to be the hardest.
Oh well as I said...her claws were at the length where the thumbs were naturally sticking out enough to clip without having to press them out! As Charlies were done regularily the thumbs were actually the hardest and most awkward for me too. Also with pure white fur and pink pads they were harder to see! But seems if you let them grow nice and long they peep out and beg for a handle free trim lol (that is when she is half asleep...and her front paws are stretched out and I can see wth i'm doing!). I actually sneaky sneaked with the human clippers because I could get in and out again like a ninja :D I have 8 left to go.....8 razor blades of doom, leaving the back ones alone.

Oh god, the blood loss.....for me not her lol.

Thank goodness for the first aid training.....
Yes, the dew claw is hard to reach but with lots of practice, it should be no problems as with the other claws. I usually go for the dew claw first when it’s well exposed.

I use a hooman nail clipper to clip me boy’s claws. Get a sturdy one, not too big that it gets in the way or too small where the blades openings are too close.

Good luck. Make sure you have some bandaids handy. :biggrin:
You don’t have to clip very near the quick. The more often you clip, the shorter the quick will be. If not, the quick grows long as the claws grow.

You can get Styptic Powder at the pet store. If you happen to clip the quick and it bleeds, apply this powder to the claw. It’ll stop the bleeding. If you don’t have this powder, next best thing is cornflour followed by plain flour which can be found in our homes. Just pour some into a small container and put it aside with the clipper and get it ready each time you clip the claws. Hopefully, you don’t have to use it.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
This place is full of such wise people :D Thanks!

Just reassure me i'm not the only one who has gone from being a pro clipper to learning all over again with a new feline?!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You don’t have to clip very near the quick. The more often you clip, the shorter the quick will be. If not, the quick grows long as the claws grow.
The baidaids were in preparation for blood loss from the human attempting to clips the feline's claws. ;) :catrub: