Treating strays for fleas

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok besides my boys Scooter & Casper there is also stray cats outside. There are a total of 8 cats only 2 are females. Although 1 of the cats I think belongs to someone and just goes around the neighborhood. When I saw him the other day he had a flea collar on. 4 of them stay on my back porch they have a nice set up out there. Which I will be redoing soon for winter so they can stay warm. My back porch though enclosed cause it’s where my washer & dryer are. Anyway though enclosed it’s not properly insulated so whatever the temp is outside it’s the same on the back porch. So they will be getting a kitty house to stay warm. Anyway I think at least 2 of the cats has fleas. 3 of them are kittens about 6 or 7 months old and one is 1 years old. They will not let you pick them up 3 of them will let you pet them but you can’t pick them up. So a flea collar or liquid is not an option. Is there an affordable oral flea pill? Something safe for them that can be mixed in their food?

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are two flea treatments that come in pill form: Comfortis and Credelio. I give my feral and semi-feral Credelio broken up on top of a small amount of wet food. I'm not sure I'd call it affordable, though.... about $20 per pill.

BC1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I took a Feral TNR certification class they mentioned Capstar (which goes in food) if you want to treat fleas on them but I would think it would be hard to get the right cat to eat the right amount and not one cat eating what was meant for 2 cats. It should be do-able with a little planning I guess. I started to look into it because I was going to be transporting ferals in my car to get spayed/neutered and didn't want to infest my car. I hardly ever see them scratch so I'm not sure they even have fleas. I meant to ask the vet last week to check when they were under anesthesia last week during my first TNR but I forgot.

I'm glad they have you looking out for them and setting up a nice winter place for them. I do that too for my guys. It makes me feel much better for them and I worry less when its single digits (or worse) outside and I'm sitting in my warm toasty house - at least I know they are somewhat protected.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I took a Feral TNR certification class they mentioned Capstar (which goes in food) if you want to treat fleas on them but I would think it would be hard to get the right cat to eat the right amount and not one cat eating what was meant for 2 cats. It should be do-able with a little planning I guess. I started to look into it because I was going to be transporting ferals in my car to get spayed/neutered and didn't want to infest my car. I hardly ever see them scratch so I'm not sure they even have fleas. I meant to ask the vet last week to check when they were under anesthesia last week during my first TNR but I forgot.

I'm glad they have you looking out for them and setting up a nice winter place for them. I do that too for my guys. It makes me feel much better for them and I worry less when its single digits (or worse) outside and I'm sitting in my warm toasty house - at least I know they are somewhat protected.
I will have to see if Petco carries that as Petco is the only pet store in my area. There used to be Value Pets(something like that) but the closed down. If I do treat them for fleas it will be all of them to be safe. But I definitely make sure the kitty’s outside are set up. I actually got Casper cause his mommy was one of the strays I fed. She was a beautiful calico I called her Freckles. She had left Casper in my recycling bin one day when he was 2 weeks old. I fixed up a cat house for her in my front yard so she had somewhere safe to go with him. Cause I kept him with her til he was old enough to be brought inside. His mommy stuck around too. Sadly she passed a few months ago we suspected someone in the neighborhood poisoned her. But the others they have a nice set up each one has their own food bowl. There is also 3 water bowls. One of the adult males has taken residency in the cat house in my front yard. So the others went to my back porch. They also will play with my dog Nera when she is outside with me. I guess cause she is small they think she is a cat. 😂 But I rather them have a safe place to go even when winter comes.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are two flea treatments that come in pill form: Comfortis and Credelio. I give my feral and semi-feral Credelio broken up on top of a small amount of wet food. I'm not sure I'd call it affordable, though.... about $20 per pill.
I will have to see if Petco carries it. If they would let me pick them up I would get some liquid. But they only allow me to pet them that’s it.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you order food or supplies from Chewy? Or even Amazon? I have several pet stores in my area, but Chewy is so convenient and delivers very quickly, I often order cat food from them.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you order food or supplies from Chewy? Or even Amazon? I have several pet stores in my area, but Chewy is so convenient and delivers very quickly, I often order cat food from them.
I can but I sometimes try to see if Petco has it first so I don’t have to pay shipping fees. Plus sometimes it’s cheaper in stores than online. If Petco doesn’t have it I always go to Amazon then Chewy.