Treating fleas on a 25-year-old cat.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows what would be safe on a 25 year old cat for fleas. She does have some health issues and is currently under weight. We're working on getting her back up to a healthy weight for eating well. I don't know how much she weighs exactly as my scale's broken. She is hard to hold/ handle at all and can't be bathed. We were using frontline while she was healthier. Now we're worried that the frontline will cause harm to her with her being under weight and in okay but not great health at the time. I also know that fleas won't help her condition which is why I want to get rid of them asap but safely.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I've always been afraid of any of the flea/tick products, but Only Natural Pet has a product called Easy Defense flea&tick spray. I spray some on the edge of a folded-over papertowel and brush that on Poppycat's fur at the back of his neck where he can't reach. I find that it sometimes needs to be reapplied, but it works.

Also, take a look at the post in this thread, it may have things to help regarding getting weight back on your baby.
My 13 yr old cat is very sick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. We've found out that she's lost a lot of her sight and was having trouble finding her food where we had it and also had trouble getting to it regularly. She also has trouble eating dry food, so we have been giving her canned daily blending the larger chunks in putting it in a location she can easily get too and that seems to be helping a ton. I will look at the article as well. Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am having a similar problem with my ~17 yo cat. She can handle Advantage II, but it is not as effective as it once was. However, IMO, since she has a history of tolerating it, that is what I am using on her now, and she is still doing OK with it. So, I guess what I am saying is if your girl tolerated Frontline before, she will likely do so again. You know she handled it in the past, so I would try that before I tried anything else. Just use the dosage conducive to her weight. If she has lost a lot of weight, use the smallest dosage to start with.

If I can't get rid of the fleas with Adv II, I am seriously thinking of Frontline as my next option.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am having a similar problem with my ~17 yo cat. She can handle Advantage II, but it is not as effective as it once was. However, IMO, since she has a history of tolerating it, that is what I am using on her now, and she is still doing OK with it. So, I guess what I am saying is if your girl tolerated Frontline before, she will likely do so again. You know she handled it in the past, so I would try that before I tried anything else. Just use the dosage conducive to her weight. If she has lost a lot of weight, use the smallest dosage to start with.

If I can't get rid of the fleas with Adv II, I am seriously thinking of Frontline as my next option.
Thank you.