Traveling With A Cat.

kelly101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! My boyfriend and I recently got jobs outside of our town. So we will be living in both places part time. However, we would like to take our cat with us on the travels. Would this be to much for our cat? We would have a good set for her at both locations. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This really depends on the cat. I would say that for most cats it would be tough. Cats are very territorial and don't like space changes. There is always the odd story of a cat being a travel companion and I'm always in awe of those stories. I feel like you need to start getting them used to that when they are young, otherwise it is tough. I don't think this is a good lifestyle for a typical cat to be honest.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kelly101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for the articles! She does pretty good with change. But, It would be a 2 hour drive one way and would be a weekly thing. We will be making sure that’s the kennel we gets get it spacey enough for the drive and comfortable for her. We where also thinking of possibly looking into natural stress relief for cats,herbal drops/cbd oil

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to travel quite a bit for work too, and I've always just put Thirteen and Atticus in the car and gone on down the road. But they've been traveling since they were kittens and they're used to it. Once I get to the hotel Atticus might slink under the bed for a minute or two but not Thirteen. She comes out of the carrier ready to scope out her new temporary digs. Atticus goes immediately under the bed for about five minutes, then comes out and starts sniffin' the place. Within an hour he's running around like mad and playing with Thirteen.

Of course, I always take their cat beds, toys and litterbox. I also take the large comforter off my bed and put it on the hotel bed. Just like at home, they sleep on the bed with me, in their own little cat beds.

The answer to your question really does depend on your cats.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 1 cat who LOVES going to new places, on car rides, etc, and 2 that hate it and also hate each other. I just made a 3 day cross country trip 3 months ago and Gabapentin was a GODSEND. They all laid happliy together in a large dog crate, I rotated them amongst that and a smaller carrier. Not a peep and they cuddled together even.

kelly101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, I appreciate all the help! You guys are giving me some hope that this just might be able to work.
I will admit she is not use to car rides, she is use to change however, she’s will be 3 this year and we’ve moved four times since we’ve had her(same town though, 15 min car rides). This would be her first two hour trip. But on the good note both locations would basically be home, so they would always have her smells.
Would any of you recommend any natural stress relief for cats? Such as feliway, or herbal drops?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would any of you recommend any natural stress relief for cats? Such as feliway, or herbal drops?
A lot of folks swear by Feliway but it's costly and I've never seen any indication of it working. But my cats are usually pretty laid back anyway so they're probably not the best judge of its efficacy. My belief is that if I don't have to put chemicals into them, natural or otherwise, I don't. But once again, my cats are great in the car and I'm not the one driving down the road with my ears bleeding from the MEOWS they're letting out, so if your cats need something "extra" I wouldn't feel bad about using it.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We will be making sure that’s the kennel we gets get it spacey enough for the drive and comfortable for her.
Speaking of kennel size for traveling, is it recommended to get a bigger one (dog size?) or use their normal carriers for like going to the vet. I have a 7 hour drive coming up with my two cats in a few weeks and I was just planning on using their normal carriers (they can stand + turn around, but not much more room than that). Sorry to hijack the thread slightly.

kelly101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no feel free! My question isn’t the same as far as kennel size. I was thinking of purchasing a medium dog size one. That way it gives her room to move around. She is one who meows in the car, but she adapts usually fairly well. I’m hoping my after a few trips she might get use to the back and forth travel.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of kennel size for traveling, is it recommended to get a bigger one (dog size?) or use their normal carriers for like going to the vet. I have a 7 hour drive coming up with my two cats in a few weeks and I was just planning on using their normal carriers (they can stand + turn around, but not much more room than that). Sorry to hijack the thread slightly.
You could take a change with the smaller carriers but risk them going to the bathroom and laying in it. A puppy pee pad in there will help greatly but still. Just be ready for that potential mess.