travel with mama cat and new kittens

Mama Savell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I apologize if this isn't the correct place to ask. My mama cat is my baby and has slept between me and my husband for four years. She has major attachment issues and does not like to be away from me. She gave birth to two kittens on 2/14. She wants to be with them and with me, so she brings them to me. If i leave the room, she cries. I have to travel for work in a few days (three-day trip, 5 hours by car). Would it be more stressful to bring them or leave them home with a sitter for three days?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I understand this correctly you are asking if it is a good idea to take mother and very young / a week or two week old kittens on a long trip to a strange place where they will then be left alone (in a hotel?) while you conduct the business you are traveling for. Not good.

My vote would be for leaving them home in familiar surroundings. And unless the pet sitter is someone mother cat is already familiar with I'd ask your vet if one of the techs can do this, should something unforeseen happen.

And your husband will be there to provide you with updates when you phone home.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mama Savell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, it will be a 2-hour presentation one day, and a one-hour presentation the next. Other than that, I would be with them. Hubby is out of town all week, which is why I needed advice. I want to hire a sitter, if that's what's best for mama and babies. I was just afraid being away from me would be harder on mama. Thank you for your help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that leaving them in their familiar environment with a sitter would be best.

Do you plan to spay mom after her kittens wean?