Travel with cat

vernan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would like to ask for assistance. I am planning to travel by air and want to take my cat with me. She is a VERY finicky cat. The medication is to be mixed with food; however, she can detect the slighted difference in her food and will not eat it. Maybe others have had this issue and have suggestions. I would appreciate any help.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your topic makes it seem like this is a travel issue, but unless there is more to your question this is really a cats and pills question? I'm no expert. This is known to be tricky. Have you tried pill pockets? There are a couple of other products that might help, forgetting but search for cats and pills and you'll probably find a thread where this has been discussed.

P.S. Your airline will allow the cat to be carry on right? If the cat is going cargo, which I dont recommend if there is another option, but if it is, not too sure about adding medication into the mix.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check with your vet and see if the medication could be compounded transdermally and applied to the ears. Many can be, some cannot. Now, I will possibly be traveling by air with my cat at some point, and have already discussed this with her vet. Since they know her well, and know that she is impossible to pill at home, I will leave home early and swing by the office for her to get a shot. That might be an option for you, as well. Again, look into this if your cat will NOT be in the cabin with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vernan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do plan to have her in the cabin in her carrier so I do need to have her sedated. How long does your shot work?
I will check on the first suggestion you had. Thank you

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do plan to have her in the cabin in her carrier so I do need to have her sedated. How long does your shot work?
I will check on the first suggestion you had. Thank you
For my cat, she was sleeping for about 4 hours, then groggy and quiet for a few hours after that.