Traumatizing Pet Store - Venting

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last point, where the heck do you think the captive breeders got their first stocks of animals from? Yep, guessed it right - the wild.

I stick by my stand that for each and every wild animal (regardless of species) sold into captivity, they are all being deprived of the chance to be themselves in their natural habitat. There is absolutely no way a human could provide for wild animals' complex needs - social hierarchy, prey food, natural roaming habitat and so on. Wild animals were born to be wild. Not to mention, if all the wild animals are allowed to stay in their natural environment, and we humans play our part in preserving their habitat, there won't be a problem of so many beautiful exotic animals going endangered or extinct.
Well, then you should not own YOUR cat/cats either!! What makes you an expert? ALL domestic cats came from...yes the WILD!! How do you know that I or any other wild/exotic animal owner can not provide for their complex needs. If you agree with this, then I say YOU can NOT provide for your cats needs. A cat is a cat, whether it is a tiger or a small domestic tabby. They all have the same needs. My wild cats enjoy a life much better than they would have in the wild.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

I was in Florida yesterday, and decided to stop at a pet store to get a couple of collars and tags for my neighbors kitties, which are inside/outside cats, with no id... Anyway, a lady in the restaurant told me: Ohhh... you should go to this amazing Pet store, they have a lot of exotic animals in there.... OH MY GOD - AWEFUL AWEFUL AWEFUL!
They had in these little filthy cages, with black water, a few spider monkeys that come from the rain forest from South America... They catch these little creatures by killing their mommies, so they fall from mom's backs, and are captured to be sold. It is aweful!!! They sell them for $6,000!!!
Beside that, they had a 3-fingered Sloth, also from South or Central America - these animals are endered now due to forest destruction... Not only that, but they have an EXTREMELY high mortality in captivity... AWEFUL!
So lets not talk about the macaws, and such... Lets try to ignore all that, ad get two things i needed: the cat collars, and the Stinky finder lamp.
Well, they had 3 - 3!!!!!! Collars storewide, so the smart pet advisor advised me to get FERRET collars, as they would be just as tiny! I mean.... doesn't she know we need safety collars for cats????
Then the manager came in, and proceed to tell me that portable UV lamps, battery charged just doesn't exist!!!

WOW - I lost my apetite and mood for the rest of the day!!! OH! So sad! SO FREAKING SAD!
Sorry - needed to vent!
Oh god that DOES sound awful! Perhaps some people are just dim, and while i love looking at animals, i'd rather see them in the wild or in a reserve, not crammed into cages away from a habitat they know.