Traumatized cat

nollamadrama

One meow to rule them all
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. I recently took in a cat (vet appointment just over a week away). He'd been without adequate food for at least three to four weeks, possibly longer. He's eating very well now and is gaining weight.

Kitty was rescued from a terrible situation. He was taken in by someone who decided they didn't want him after a very short period of time. That's when I stepped in.

Here's my question. I have two senior cats. If/when kitty is given a clean bill of health by my vet what is the best way to introduce a traumatized cat into a multi cat home; specifically one who's gone through having little to no food? What extra considerations and precautions would be recommended?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Patience and let the traumatized cat set the pace. I would start with scent swapping. You can do that by using a blanket for each cat to lay on and then put those with the other cats once the scent of each is in the blanket. Let them thoroughly sniff it and leave it for each to get used to. You can also brush each cat and remove the shed fur to do the same. Brushing each cat (after clean bill of health) with the same brush will integrate all cats scent to each other. Letting the traumatized cat smell your cats from under a closed door will give some idea that other cats are present too. I have introduced many traumatized cats here as rescues over a period of time. Some people use baby gates to separate cats or screen doors so cats can see each other but still feel safe but I have installed lattice panels over my doors and have had very good success with that. (Wish I had thought of it much sooner! Lol) A kitten might be able to get through the openings in the lattice but mesh hardware cloth could be put over the lattice to prevent that. All the cats here love the lattice. Shy ones can be behind the panels but still observe what goes on beyond the door in safety. You may need to help kitty get used to new noises, surroundings and scents besides your resident cats so be patient, spend time getting to know kitty yourself before going the next step. That way the kitty knows you are his protection and security in the house as he gets to learning about his wonderful new home. Thank you so much for saving this little life. You are a kitty hero! Please keep us updated and if you need photos of how the lattice works here, let me know. Others will be along with lots of great tips and more thanks for what you have done. :goldstar::clap2::heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nollamadrama

Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you and I really appreciate all of your advice. I've already made a doorway gate (a little premature, I know, but I'm hopeful that there will be good news) out of wire shelves and zip ties. I will let you know how it works if/when we get to that point. I wish I'd thought of lattice fencing. That's so smart.
This sweet little kitty has already stolen my heart. I'm trying to be really, really careful when I go and sit with him (hand washing, showering, changing clothes when I'm done) so that if he does have anything I won't pass it to my other two. I spend quite a bit of time with him but I feel guilty whenever I have to leave.
He loves being brushed. He even rolls onto his back and lets me brush his tummy. Poor baby had so many terrible mats in his fur.
He's started to meow when I come into the room. He won't sit on my lap but today he flopped down against my leg and rubbed his face on my foot.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww. He sounds so very grateful to be with you. Precious too! I bet he ends up in your lap very soon.
The lattice idea came to me after many kitties and using the wire shelving. I had used that in my greenhouses for many years and had it on hand for the ferals I was working with so I thought of that at the time. The vinyl lattice is light weight and when it occurred to me to use that I was sort of , why didn’t I think of this before?!?!? Lol.:doh:
BTW, If you reach a point where you want to post pictures, we love kitty photos!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Introducing Cats To Cats – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover – TheCatSite Articles
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Welcome to The Cat Site and thank you for rescuing this cat. There is already a lot of great advice; the articles above may add a point or two and the last is about a younger cat with older ones.

Your little boy has already decided that he loves you. His hesitancy is from the fact that he came from a terrible situation and he is still figuring out if your house is safe for him. Once he makes that decision, which he will, he may turn into an extremely affectionate and easy to handle cat.

I have only ever rescued dogs or cats who were alone, abandoned, or in a situation of abuse. The irony is that those who experienced the worst seemed to become the most bonded and affectionate, understanding what had been done for them.

Remember that you can keep coming back to TCS for any advice at all as you move ahead with this boy. Please let us know how it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nollamadrama

Young Cat
Purraise
I took Peppy to the vet today. I had the veterinarian run just about every test they could; liver, thyroid, and kidney function tests (I'll get the results of those tomorrow), Feline Leukemia and FIV tests (both negative!!!!!! 🥳), she looked at Peppy's upper respiratory symptoms (Peppy's very likely got a bacterial infection and will be on antibiotics for the next ten days), she guestimated Peppy to be about 8 years old, and (drum roll please!) Peppy is a girl!

After her antibiotics course has been completed the vet said (as long as all symptoms have cleared up) that it'll be safe to begin introducing her (albeit very, very slowly) to my other two.

Here's a recent photo of my girl. Eyes are a bit goopy but I expect that to clear up soon.

20211218_111209-02.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! She is beautiful, bless you for taking her in. It will take a while, but eventually, they will accept each other. I would feed them all separately too when they do get closer together, she may be desperate not to get food again and try to steal theirs. This all takes months, but it is well worth it. I had one group take a year, but with determination and patience, it CAN be done!