Trapping Question

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to trap a cat tonight that has a broken paw. I've only seen it twice, it lives' in a vacant burnt out apartment. I haven't gotten close enough to see if it's male or female. If it is a female and is nursing babies that would be bad to take the mom away from them. The apartment is not accessible to me, so I would not be able to look for babies. The cat is probably feral or just very scared. Someone may have broken it's paw on purpose. I saw another one with a broken paw in the same complex, people here are very cruel to animals. Have you ever tried to take a cat out of a trap and handle it in order to see if it is nursing kittens?

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cat is probably feral or just very scared.
I never have but if the above is true you may have a handful if you try to remove the cat without sedation. Our local humane society gives them a shot through the trap before TNR and doesn't try to get them out of the trap till they are asleep. I think if the cat is hurting with a hurt paw it would be a mistake to try to get it out from the trap till you are at the vet but this is JMO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never have but if the above is true you may have a handful if you try to remove the cat without sedation. Our local humane society gives them a shot through the trap before TNR and doesn't try to get them out of the trap till they are asleep. I think if the cat is hurting with a hurt paw it would be a mistake to try to get it out from the trap till you are at the vet but this is JMO.
Yes, I kind of figured that. It was a dumb question, I just hate the thought of baby kittens starving to death. But the cat has to be trapped. Maybe it will be a boy anyway.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it's the kind of trap that is all wire mesh you should be able to lift it up with the cat inside and at least somewhat get a look to see if you can see nipples. A nursing mother will have pulled the fur out around them so they might be noticeable. Also, you might need a second person to hold the trap up so you can look.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's the kind of trap that is all wire mesh you should be able to lift it up with the cat inside and at least somewhat get a look to see if you can see nipples. A nursing mother will have pulled the fur out around them so they might be noticeable. Also, you might need a second person to hold the trap up so you can look.
Yes, maybe, sometimes they curl up in a ball and it's really hard to get a good look.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the kittens are in the area they'll cry when they get hungry and hopefully you can find them then. IF it's a female and she has kittens.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't caught him or her yet. If it does have kittens they are likely in the burnt out apartment. I could get in there with a crowbar, but it's right by the street, so I would probably go to jail. I'm going to try trapping again in the morning.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You should call the place where you intend to have her looked at. And ask these questions. Sometimes nursing females are TNR'd quickly- so they return to the next the same day. But there are variables I'm not knowledgeable in so ask your vet.

If the leg needs X-rays they will likely do that while she is sedated for spaying. If it looks like a wound that is abscessed they might want to hold off spaying to treat the wound.

If you are not experienced in handling ferals I would not attempt it at all. Lift the trap- if you see pinked up nipples she might have kittens or be pregnant. A vet would be able to tell you.

Most vets I've worked with are willing to make an appointment for a feral with the understanding that the appointment might not be kept if trapping doesn't go well. So just ask them. Be upfront about everything ahead of time and call around until someone is willing to work with you.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Marmoset, I go through a rescue for the vetting, so I have to do it their way, but good suggestions. I didn't have any luck trapping it this morning. I may have to give up on it, I've only seen it twice and it's not one I feed.