Trapping One Cat But Not Others

kalynnda13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cat I'm trying to catch is actually one of my own. He somehow slipped out last week. The house painters were not always good about making sure the door into the cat enclosure was shut or the gate from the fenced patio (cat fencing) was locked.

I've seen Kismet on video. He only comes around at night. I have food on the porch for the ferals (and racoons and whatever else wanders by). He seems to be coming from the back yard, but I'm not sure. I have walked the back yard during the day and night, calling for him and shining a flashlight looking for those glowing eyes. He has not meowed or made other noises.

I tried to trap him last night. I set the trap with tuna so he would get to that first. There was a food bowl further away from his direction of travel. I know the other cats are trap shy (I've already gotten them trapped and fixed) and I hoped the racoons would be too. I work, so I couldn't stay up the whole night watching. I got up twice in the night to check the trap, but no luck catching Kismet. I saw on the video that he had tried to get the tuna through the wire but then went on to eat out of the food bowl.

Unfortunately, I DID catch a racoon. The trap was sitting on tarp and plastic (from the painters). He pulled in a lot of the tarp/plastic, which must have been enough to get the door up just a bit and escape. For some reason the camera didn't record the effort...I'm sure it would have been interesting to watch.

I'm looking for advice and ideas on how to get Kismet. I know this is a feral/stray board, but many of you have experience trapping cats. Tonight I'm going to put out the trap but tie it so it can't trigger and put the tuna part way in. I want to see if I can get him to at least walk a little way into the trap. (I also need to sleep - 2 nights of less than 5 hours are hard when you are in your 50s.)

If all else fails, I have a drop trap and a remote trigger. I can't stay up Friday night (very early plans on Saturday), but I will on Saturday. He's worth the lack of sleep. I so miss my scardy Kizzy cat.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is so hard to just trap one. Usually once a cat has been trapped, it will take a lot for them to go back into the trap. I would do exactly as you planned by tying open the trap so it can't go off. I like to use puppy pee pads instead of newspaper as it's easier and less noisy to walk on. Sprinkle some of the tuna and the juice onto the pad. Just tiny tiny bits that lead to the bowl in the back. Also use his normal food bowl. I have also had luck trapping with just regular food, not tuna, just plain dry food!

Good luck. I hope you can catch him.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't leave food out. They won't go in if there's another food option. You can feed the others individually if they show up while you're around. Try some rotisserie chicken as bait, or whatever his favorite treat is (since he's yours and not a feral, you should know what he likes instead of having to guess). Since he's a housepet he may have less of a tolerance for being hungry and will go in quicker than the ferals. If you happen to catch a feral you can just let them go. Do check the trap mechanism though---the raccoon shouldn't have been able to get out. I'd hate for you to catch him and have him get away, he'd be a lot harder to catch after that.

jpatootie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I keep telling my husband not to use a flashlight hunting cats at night--they come to dark, not light--and when they're already frightened, it just makes it worse. While night-vision goggles would be great, well, just not something we have around the house.

If able, go to bed, get some sleep, then maybe around midnight or one, if possible, take a blanket outside and just get down on the ground and talk to Kismet the way you would--lovingly--indoors. Do you use a laser light for play? Maybe use that around the perimeter of good hiding places. You know how they sometimes forget themselves and go after it. Hopefully, within an hour or so, knowing you're there for protection against ferals, possums and raccoons, maybe you'll get the visit you're looking for without the trauma of a trap.

Good luck and please update us on Kismet.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep telling my husband not to use a flashlight hunting cats at night--they come to dark, not light--and when they're already frightened, it just makes it worse. While night-vision goggles would be great, well, just not something we have around the house.

If able, go to bed, get some sleep, then maybe around midnight or one, if possible, take a blanket outside and just get down on the ground and talk to Kismet the way you would--lovingly--indoors. Do you use a laser light for play? Maybe use that around the perimeter of good hiding places. You know how they sometimes forget themselves and go after it. Hopefully, within an hour or so, knowing you're there for protection against ferals, possums and raccoons, maybe you'll get the visit you're looking for without the trauma of a trap.

Good luck and please update us on Kismet.
J jpatootie Wow Wapakoneta!!! My Dad grew up there and I had relatives there. Home of the Neil Armstrong Museum.

Just couldn't resist. Small world.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any update on catching Kismet? I was going to say almost word-for-word what J jpatootie suggested - - if you're definitely seeing Kismet come out at night, I'd do my best to be out there a little earlier at night than he's shown up on your video. Kismet is probably coming out once it's quiet (night) because he's scared and it's the only time he's letting his hunger override his fear (since it sounds like you do alot of trapping - is Kismet an ex-feral or stray?). But I'd go out at night armed with a blanket, some super smelly kitty-luring food like mackerel, plus a container of his favorite indoor food and a container of his favorite treats. Hopefully he'll come out at some point that night and - if he hears that it's you AND you have something yummy he loves - maybe trapping won't even be necessary? If he knew it was you, who I'm sure he loves, with yummy stuff - - would he even walk into an open carrier right next to you? (that way you avoid worrying that - while you might be able to grab him if he comes close - the last thing you want is for him to panic and go crazy, causing you to have to drop him....and start from square one again :(

Keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalynnda13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any update on catching Kismet? I was going to say almost word-for-word what J jpatootie suggested - - if you're definitely seeing Kismet come out at night, I'd do my best to be out there a little earlier at night than he's shown up on your video. Kismet is probably coming out once it's quiet (night) because he's scared and it's the only time he's letting his hunger override his fear (since it sounds like you do alot of trapping - is Kismet an ex-feral or stray?). But I'd go out at night armed with a blanket, some super smelly kitty-luring food like mackerel, plus a container of his favorite indoor food and a container of his favorite treats. Hopefully he'll come out at some point that night and - if he hears that it's you AND you have something yummy he loves - maybe trapping won't even be necessary? If he knew it was you, who I'm sure he loves, with yummy stuff - - would he even walk into an open carrier right next to you? (that way you avoid worrying that - while you might be able to grab him if he comes close - the last thing you want is for him to panic and go crazy, causing you to have to drop him....and start from square one again :(

Keep us updated!
Good News! I set up the drop trap Friday after the painters left. Kismet was kind enough to come by at 8:30 PM. The remote worked flawlessly. You should have heard him...you'd think we were killing him!

We got him calmed down and herded into the transfer cage. Once inside in the bedroom, we let him out of the cage. It didn't take him long to remember us or the house. The other cats are OK, but hiss at him if they meet. I expect that will decrease with time, once his smell is everywhere again. He appears healthy with just a few scratches. I can touch him everywhere and he doesn't show any signs of pain or discomfort. He lost some weight but is quickly gaining it back. We'll take him in to the vet in a week or two, once things settle down, for a checkup and microchipping.

We kept him isolated in the bedroom for the first two days but he has the run of the house now. He is very glad to be home. WE are very glad he is home!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah!!!!!! Happy day! Bet that you - AND Kismet - and the neighborhood raccoons - are all breathing alot more easily! SOOO nice to hear a happy ending!

(and I have to say you've introduced me to a new bit of technology despite having TNR'd for years - - - I'd never heard of a remote for a drop trap so I looked them up - - how cool! Beats the string method we usually use (although my husband said "we can get alot of string for that kind of price tag" - guess that "men love anything electronic and funky" rule doesn't always apply?)

Again - BIG congrats and here's to no more sleepless nights!!!!!!