Transitioning raw to canned wet exclusively

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I have two 7 year old cats that I adopted when they were 6 months old. They have been fed mostly commercial frozen raw since then. During the height of the pandemic it was easier to stockpile wet canned food since I don't have a lot of freezer space so they ate mostly canned wet for about a year. Right now I rotate a can of wet about every 4th meal and the rest of the time they get small batch frozen. I also give them freeze dried treats and a very small amount of high quality dry food as a treat.

Mainly due to cost and convenience I'm thinking of giving up the raw and going to exclusively medium to high quality canned. I live near an outlet store where I see decent brands of canned for good prices. Has anyone ever done this? Both my cats are pretty good eaters so I think they would tolerate it fine. My goal is to keep each meal under $2 and with the price of raw soaring lately it's hard to do that.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, it is definitely doable, just go somewhat slowly. Since you're already giving them canned, it shouldn't cause too much stomach upset to increase the wet and decrease the raw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! My plan is to give them 4 mini meals so their tummies don’t get overloaded at once.