Transition To Inside Only

Jadey88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats have spent the last 7 years as inside/outside cats in a quiet neighborhood. But as life changes I had to move and now have to be in a one room apartment, with no access to outside. My one cat Kimba is handling the transition better, as she is more of a home body; but my other cat Minx, who is an extremely active and outgoing cat is not handling it as well. Lots of meowing and looking very depressed. Which I don't blame her, such a huge change. I have done all that I can think of to help with the transition. I enclosed the balcony, planted real grass, and flowers, built a cat "super highway" shelves to climb on and walk on but she will have none of it. It has been about 8 weeks since the move, am I expecting too much from her, or is there something more that I can do to help her? She can walk on a leash but she does not do well with just an hour outside on a leash, it is all or nothing for her and feel it makes it worse for her just to have a taste of outside, as her meowing is more louder and frequent as soon as we come inside. Or what is the best way to get over the guilt I feel for changing their life so drastically!! Thank you Cat Peeps!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just slow to adjust to new quarters. It is probably as much about that as it is not being able to go outside. I think you have done a great job trying to make her happy but it just may take time. If your girls are food motivated I would consider buying some food puzzles where the cat as to figure out a lever or such to get a treat. This inside “hunting” may distract her. You can also try hiding treats in different places in your apartment and balcony for them to seek out and find. Freeze dried chicken or fish are nutritious snacks and they hold up to lying around for a day or two.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jadey88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some cats are just slow to adjust to new quarters. It is probably as much about that as it is not being able to go outside. I think you have done a great job trying to make her happy but it just may take time. If your girls are food motivated I would consider buying some food puzzles where the cat as to figure out a lever or such to get a treat. This inside “hunting” may distract her. You can also try hiding treats in different places in your apartment and balcony for them to seek out and find. Freeze tried chicken or fish are nutritious snacks and they hold up to lying around for a day or two.
Thanks, good idea about hiding the freeze dried chicken, she loves that! Will try it.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you've done incredible about trying to provide indoor enrichment for your kitties. It's a shame that Minx is not transitioning well. I think you've don't all the things I would normally suggest, you put a lot of time and thought into that. So try not to feel guilty, cats just adjust slowly.

We brought Olive indoors about 7 months ago, she was an abandoned outdoor pet. We would play with her whenever she starting circling the room and checking doors, gave her heights, fresh catnip toys for nighttime, and puzzle feeders. We have not harness trained her, mainly because I was afraid she would be more dissatisfied about not having access to outside. Once in a while she escapes the house, and when she comes back in (at this point she is easily carried back in immediately, she doesn't even run off anymore) she is a little extra whiny for the next few days but eventually she forgets.

I say give it time, hopefully Minx will come around.

Jadey88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you've done incredible about trying to provide indoor enrichment for your kitties. It's a shame that Minx is not transitioning well. I think you've don't all the things I would normally suggest, you put a lot of time and thought into that. So try not to feel guilty, cats just adjust slowly.

We brought Olive indoors about 7 months ago, she was an abandoned outdoor pet. We would play with her whenever she starting circling the room and checking doors, gave her heights, fresh catnip toys for nighttime, and puzzle feeders. We have not harness trained her, mainly because I was afraid she would be more dissatisfied about not having access to outside. Once in a while she escapes the house, and when she comes back in (at this point she is easily carried back in immediately, she doesn't even run off anymore) she is a little extra whiny for the next few days but eventually she forgets.

I say give it time, hopefully Minx will come around.
Thank you, it was tough as everything I tried she was not interested and just looked so bored and depressed. Thank you for sharing your experience with Olive, I think Minx is starting to finally accept where she is. As she started playing like she use to a couple days ago, so it looks like there is light at the end of this tunnel!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, it was tough as everything I tried she was not interested and just looked so bored and depressed. Thank you for sharing your experience with Olive, I think Minx is starting to finally accept where she is. As she started playing like she use to a couple days ago, so it looks like there is light at the end of this tunnel!
Depending on your computer/TV status, if there's a way you have a TV bolted firmly to the wall to prevent possible shattering or a computer screen that is in a very secure area, you tube has a "cat TV" channel that my cats find EXTREMELY interesting. It might give her some outlet for that stalking and watching behavior.
When our little girl hurt her back she needed massages and didn't want to sit still, so we plopped her bed in my lap, plopped HER in the bed, and turned on cat TV and she froze, watching, ears up, paws kneading a bit while we were able to do what we had to do.

Jadey88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Depending on your computer/TV status, if there's a way you have a TV bolted firmly to the wall to prevent possible shattering or a computer screen that is in a very secure area, you tube has a "cat TV" channel that my cats find EXTREMELY interesting. It might give her some outlet for that stalking and watching behavior.
When our little girl hurt her back she needed massages and didn't want to sit still, so we plopped her bed in my lap, plopped HER in the bed, and turned on cat TV and she froze, watching, ears up, paws kneading a bit while we were able to do what we had to do.
They have some great things for cats on TV now, and a great idea that I have tried that as well. Once she realizes they are not real she loses interest very quickly. I am glad it worked so well for your girl.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have some great things for cats on TV now, and a great idea that I have tried that as well. Once she realizes they are not real she loses interest very quickly. I am glad it worked so well for your girl.
She's smarter than ours who obsessively smacks the screen with more and more intensity until either the computer moves or the screen flops back a full 8 inches, then she runs and takes books and papers off the desk with her.