TOXIC OR NOT TOXIC, PLEASE HELP.

Lilycup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have researched and researched. I am finding mixed answers. I told him to get a fir, I had seen that was pretty safe, he came home with this. I have 2 cats. My 1.5 yr old gets into EVERYTHING. Please advise. I said let's put it on our patio (we live in AZ), but he is pretty mad. I have seen non toxic, mildly toxic and highly toxic. It's a pine.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lilycup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think your cat is in any danger from the tree, but the tree is in a lot of danger from the cat. Check out this page from another thread. O Christmas Tree Nobody on TCS has reported that their Christmas tree made their cats sick.
Thank you for your response! Happy holiday season.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had pines around indoor cats every Christmas, none have had any problems. They may chew on it. but pine tastes pretty nasty and they quit. The bulbs hanging on the tree and the decorations may be ate though, so those you have to watch. Outside cats have lived around pines for years, even yews, which say they are highly toxic. I have seen them even chew on them, and no problems. They would have to eat a lot to get into trouble.

Lilycup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had pines around indoor cats every Christmas, none have had any problems. They may chew on it. but pine tastes pretty nasty and they quit. The bulbs hanging on the tree and the decorations may be ate though, so those you have to watch. Outside cats have lived around pines for years, even yews, which say they are highly toxic. I have seen them even chew on them, and no problems. They would have to eat a lot to get into trouble.
Thank you! I have been up all night, they were locked in my bedroom with me until I could figure it out. I just trimmed off all the low come eat me I'm tasty branches. Covering the water with a blanket and will keep up on the vacuuming. All plastic/wood ornaments and anchored to the wall. I've never had this kind of tree. In New England, we always had firs. Appreciate your kindness in responding! Happy holiday season to you and yours. (Everyone trims their tree at 6a.m. , right!? Lol).

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing you don't want him to do is drink the water from the tree holder. Put a paper plate or something over it to keep him out of it and you'll be okay.

Lilycup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only thing you don't want him to do is drink the water from the tree holder. Put a paper plate or something over it to keep him out of it and you'll be okay.
Thank you! I tied a skirt around it and putting a bigger one kinda over that. I appreciate your response!