Took in a stray

Leahpreston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looking for some advice from fellow cat people.

I moved to a new neighborhood and a cat who is super friendly and loving came into our lives. We took him in. Checked for microchips. Asked neighbors and he's a stray.

We took him to the vet, he has some major medical issues which we will be happy to help him with. He's partly blind as well so we've decided to keep in 100% indoor cat. We have a screened in porch that we let him him come and go from but we live in Florida and fleas are bad right now and it's so hot we have decided to keep him in for the time being. He's not annoying or destructive about being kept in, but he's fallen into a depression from not being able to be outside. He and my other cat have become great friends. He has free roam of the house, so many toys and cat perches to have fun with. It's been since December that we took him in and he has been fine till now. He's been to the vet 5 times since so we have had him checked for everything and continue to have his follow ups. There's nothing wrong that would make him withdrawal like he has been except he can't go outside these last few days.

Would love some advice from other cat owners who have taken in strays and how to help him get over this hurtle.

Thank you

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm wondering if his depression is from something else if he's been in for this long. Has his vision changed/decreased? Has his hearing changed/decrease?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried giving him access to the porch, to see if it cheers him up? As furballsmom said, it could be something else, and trying that would be a good way to determine whether it's his location or something else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leahpreston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm wondering if his depression is from something else if he's been in for this long. Has his vision changed/decreased? Has his hearing changed/decrease?

Not that I've noticed. We just had his eye pressure tested again and no change and he comes when called. I know cats are hard to diagnose sometimes but I feel our vet is doing a good job with his medical needs. I can't pin point any other changes that would make him do the things he's doing. I just feel so bad that he's mopey the last couple of days

Leahpreston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried giving him access to the porch, to see if it cheers him up? As furballsmom said, it could be something else, and trying that would be a good way to determine whether it's his location or something else.
I could try that tomorrow. I stopped letting him out on Fri when I noticed a flea on him and put on his flea meds. He has been mopey since that night. I'll try letting him out tomorrow and see what happens 🙂

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
How does he act withdrawn? Most cats adjust to the indoors. My 3 had been strays do not like the outdoors.one is actually afraid! She was out the longest. What does your vet think?

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I could try that tomorrow. I stopped letting him out on Fri when I noticed a flea on him and put on his flea meds. He has been mopey since that night. I'll try letting him out tomorrow and see what happens 🙂
I wonder whether he's having a reaction to the flea meds?
Do the porch thing tomorrow and then you'll have more of an idea. :)

Leahpreston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He doesn't want to play with my other cat which is odd bc they chase each other around all the time. He doesn't play with his toys and has no interest in his normal sun napping spots.

I haven't talked to the vet as this all happened over the weekend. He was just at his vet Monday and everything was good at his follow up. I suppose it could be something besides depression but I figured ask here and see if anyone had suggestions as far as making kitty happy without going back outside again. He's a long hair cat, I can't imagine he's comfortable out side in that heat

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
What flea meds did you use?

Leahpreston

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder whether he's having a reaction to the flea meds?
Do the porch thing tomorrow and then you'll have more of an idea. :)
I didn't think about a reaction to the meds 🤔. Thanks for the idea.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I think it's likely to be that. It's worth talking to your vet about it (my bold for lethargy)

Like all medicines, Revolution has some side effects. The most common is hair loss at the site of application with or without inflammation (redness, flaking) in cats. Other side effects reported in cats and dogs include vomiting, diarrhea with or without blood, anorexia (decreased appetite), lethargy (sluggishness), salivation, rapid breathing, pruritus (itching), urticaria (welts, hives), erythema (skin redness), ataxia (incoordination), fever and rare instances of death.