too soon to think about getting a kitten?

89Mo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi evveryone I am new. I hope this is the right location for this post.

I am after some advice.

I sadly had to surrender my lovely 5.5 year old dog I have had since she was 9 weeks old, just last week.
long story short she has terrible anxiety, trying meds and training didn't help and ultimately decided my house being on a busy location was not helping her anxiety.

needless to say she has left a huge hole. i live alone and don't have much going on outside work commitments. no partner etc, so I am feeling lonely now.

I have had a cat before that died of old age a few years back.

is it too soon to think about getting a new kitty within the next few months? i don't want to feel like I'm just replacing my beloved dog with a new pet.

I live on a busy road so that kitten would be indoor only with a cat run around the side of the house (next to the road)

is it cruel to keep an indoor cat? and with the cat run beside a busy road would it get spooked by traffic noise? it's a 30mph road but people tend to go faster so I couldn't risk having it crossing over the road to the reserve.

any advice is appreciated. thanks Mo

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
It isn't too soon 💗
It isn't cruel to keep a cat as indoors only, with enrichment such as the cat run, and maybe bird feeders outside windows, and playtime :)
Could you maybe use some kind of material and/or plants on the side of the cat run that's towards the road to buffer both noise and also visually?

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two indoor only cat's. I don't think it's cruel mine don't know any different. There's too much trouble for cat's to get into other cat's, preditors,and traffic. I wouldn't have a outdoor cat now.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. So sorry you had to give up your dog. I hope she finds a good home quickly, and gets to live out the rest of her life stress-free.

As for you getting a kitten so soon, as long as you are mentally and financially prepared to care for a cat for up to 20 years, I don't think it's too soon. I'm sure your home is feeling very empty without your canine furbaby.

Even though you're had a cat in the past, here's a few TCS articles that might be helpful:

A Kitten Or An Older Cat – Which Should You Adopt? – TheCatSite Articles
New Cat Checklist: What You Need To Get Before Bringing Kitty Home – TheCatSite Articles
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips | TheCatSite

About keeping a cat inside only, considering you live on a busy street, it definitely is not cruel to not let it roam outside.

Here's another couple TCS articles with info on How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) – TheCatSite Articles and How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door | TheCatSite