Too much litter cause UTI?

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It has been two months and we're on yet another round of antibiotics for UTI. This particular cat has chronic UTI's and I'm wondering if the depth of his litter box is to blame. We have around 3"-4" inches of crystal litter in each box. I'm just guessing here but we've been dealing with this going on 4 years and frankly I'm getting tired of it.

Thoughts?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not highly likely that the litter would be causing an issue, but you can always try to reduce the level and see what happens. You might also watch your cat to see if they are sitting while peeing. I suppose that could cause an issue. But it would seem to me that even lowering the level of the litter wouldn't change that habit.

Some cats are more prone to UTIs. One of the most common causes is e coli bacteria. So, if you have had urine cultures done with the urinalyses, you could see what kind of bacteria is typically involved. The other thing you can do is to start adding about 1/4 tsp of pure D-Mannose powder to your cat's food. The D-Mannose is a molecule that many bacteria, including e coli, adhere to so that they are flushed out with the urine rather than colonizing in the bladder, which can lead to UTIs. D-Mannose is easier to add to canned food - and canned food is always better than dry, overall health wise, including for the urinary tract. If not, you could try mixing the powder with a lickable treat to see if he would eat it that way.

My cat was prone to UTIs and she has essentially been UTI free since I started giving her the D-Mannose about 3 years ago.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have very deep litter in my boxes and no history of UTIs. In fact, the one cat who had to be treated for a bladder problem does not use litter at all, but uses a pee pad in a litter box which is removed after one use.

People, not vets, have mentioned to me that they have heard that if litter is too deep, or if the litter box itself is not sanitized at least once a month, a cat will get a UTI. Supposedly the shifting of the litter raises the bacteria to the surface and creates a bigger risk. However, this might be one of those "theoretical" beliefs that never happens in reality. As FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said, a cat who wants to sit in litter will do it in 4 inches or 1 inch of litter.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The litter might not be the cause of the litter but there could be a correlation.

If your cat doesn't like the feel of the crystals on the feet, it might hold its urine longer and become more prone to infections that way.

To help find the right litter for my cat, I gave a variety, in some disposable boxes and narrowed down by what he chose. I had 3 litters to choose from: corn, wheat and nutshell based. Over time, I still found issues with each of those litters (just personal preference for myself) and tried him with wood chip litter (Okocat. Please only use wood litter that is made for cats as the phenols are removed) and paper litter. I've also attempted the tofu litter; my cat liked it but not more than the paper litter.

the type or location of the litter box(es) may cause the same issue. Some cats prefer open and some closed. Think of it as the same way a person may avoid a port-a-potty because they don't like them.

Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) | International Cat Care

I do sanitize my litter boxes monthly, but not for reasons of UTIs. I started that habit many years after Nobel's UTIs were under control.

Finding the right litter, boxes and the switch to a mostly wet diet, while adding extra water was what worked for me. I also ensured to play with him daily (making sure he got 'kitten eyes') to help lower his stress. I didn't have any trouble with any kind of wet food, as long as water was added. For the dry he did eat, I always ensured there were cranberries or blueberries in the recipe. However, I did settle on Purina Pro Plan urinary.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have very deep litter in my boxes and no history of UTIs. In fact, the one cat who had to be treated for a bladder problem does not use litter at all, but uses a pee pad in a litter box which is removed after one use.

People, not vets, have mentioned to me that they have heard that if litter is too deep, or if the litter box itself is not sanitized at least once a month, a cat will get a UTI. Supposedly the shifting of the litter raises the bacteria to the surface and creates a bigger risk. However, this might be one of those "theoretical" beliefs that never happens in reality. As FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said, a cat who wants to sit in litter will do it in 4 inches or 1 inch of litter.
Sounds like an old wives tale. I keep my litter deep because it is easier to scoop when it isnt a cement brick stuck to the liner. Especialy with a cat taking water pills (diuretics) .

Only time a cat had a bladder infection was Indy and only once, girls are more prone to it according to my vet.

A sanitary clip might help if its a chronic thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not highly likely that the litter would be causing an issue, but you can always try to reduce the level and see what happens. You might also watch your cat to see if they are sitting while peeing. I suppose that could cause an issue. But it would seem to me that even lowering the level of the litter wouldn't change that habit.

Some cats are more prone to UTIs. One of the most common causes is e coli bacteria. So, if you have had urine cultures done with the urinalyses, you could see what kind of bacteria is typically involved. The other thing you can do is to start adding about 1/4 tsp of pure D-Mannose powder to your cat's food. The D-Mannose is a molecule that many bacteria, including e coli, adhere to so that they are flushed out with the urine rather than colonizing in the bladder, which can lead to UTIs. D-Mannose is easier to add to canned food - and canned food is always better than dry, overall health wise, including for the urinary tract. If not, you could try mixing the powder with a lickable treat to see if he would eat it that way.

My cat was prone to UTIs and she has essentially been UTI free since I started giving her the D-Mannose about 3 years ago.
He's a squatter for sure. I understand large cats and males are more prone to UTI. My guy is a 25lbs Main Coon. I double checked the depth last night and it's at 2 inches which is twice the recommended depth. I'm going to try 1 inch and replace every two weeks vs 2 inches every 4 weeks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing that makes either bigger cats or male cats more prone to UTIs is their weight in general (more sedentary), or the fact they are males. The urethra in male cats is much smaller than females, making it easier for their tract to become occluded from crystals/stones. The less 'free' that urine passes, the more likely for 'junk' to collect in the bladder, increasing the potential for bacterial UTIs, and possibly for blockage.

Try the litter level change, but tbh, 'a squatter is a squatter'. And, if that is contributing to the UTIs - which I kind of doubt - then, it won't matter. But let us know how that goes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only thing that makes either bigger cats or male cats more prone to UTIs is their weight in general (more sedentary), or the fact they are males. The urethra in male cats is much smaller than females, making it easier for their tract to become occluded from crystals/stones. The less 'free' that urine passes, the more likely for 'junk' to collect in the bladder, increasing the potential for bacterial UTIs, and possibly for blockage.

Try the litter level change, but tbh, 'a squatter is a squatter'. And, if that is contributing to the UTIs - which I kind of doubt - then, it won't matter. But let us know how that goes!
Ya I'm not convinced myself but we'll. These guys slow down at age 10. He's a big boy but his cat BMI is 4/5 on 10 pt scale.