Too hot?

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. This week we are expecting a heat wave for a couple days so I’ll be having my dad put in a air con tonight or tomorrow morning. Today isn’t super hot (but hotter than yesterday)and I have all the shades down and plenty of fresh water. I noticed that my kitten (10-12 weeks) Is less active than normal. Yesterday he was bouncing around but today he ate breakfast, played a tiny bit and slept. I made him lunch, he ate and walked around and went back to sleeping. Is he simply too hot to really move around? He likes to sleep in my rabbits hideout that has a fleece blanket so I’m worried he’s overheating

cats&plants

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's probably just hot. Keep lots of water available! If he doesn't eat anything in 24 hours, he may be sick but if he's still nibbling here and there he's probably just toasty.

You can take a damp washcloth and wet him down a bit or use an ice cube to 'comb' his fur to help cool him. Once your AC is in, that'll help immensely too.

My cats will lay in their favorite spots regardless of heat, fleece is their favorite too. We're expecting 40°C heat this week - I am melting just thinking about it 😂
Good luck!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that the first explanation is that the weather has become hot and the AC will be installed shortly...maybe it is by now. I don't think that you have to panic. However, he is a very young kitten so watch for anything that might be a warning sign such as not eating or drinking, or other signs of distress. My cats all lay around lazily in the heat and eat less, but none are kittens, which is the only reason for being more concerned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I’ve been keeping an eye on him and so far he’s eating and drinking fine. Just not as active and prefers sleeping all day. Hopefully the AC tonight will help.