Tonkinese with possible reflux and/or asthma?

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We rescued two wonderful tonkinese kitties. To make a looong story shorter, someone bought them from a breeder and then abandoned them at their veterinarians office. A foster family took them home, and a few weeks later we adopted them. Both female, Tessa is almost 3 and Freya is almost 2. I’m told they are sisters from different litters. They are super sweet and best friends. They are a bit sickly, which makes me wish I knew more about their early years. Neither one was spayed, but the veterinarian spayed them before he sent them home with the foster family. Poor Tessa has a chronic upper respiratory infection. She has been to the vet several times about it. However, my concern right now is Freya. The poor little girl has awful tummy troubles and vomits a few times a week. She is so sweet, and she usually vomits in her litter box (not while she’s going, she has fairly normal bowel movements) but she just goes into her litter box to vomit, which is sweet - and easy to clean, but sometimes hard to know she’s done it unless I actively see her. I have talked to the vet about this. First we suspected the new environment, as she was VERY skittish. But now she’s relaxed and happy here, but she still vomits. She also has incredibly loud tummy gurgling noises. Currently the vet thinks her gut may be out of whack, so she’s on a special gastrointestinal food, and a medicine called metoclopramide. The medicine seems to be helping, she’s more comfortable and the gurgling is much less, but she still acts like she’s going to vomit once a day. She’s vomiting less, but she still acts like shes going to. Also, her breathing is labored at times. Usually when she’s playing, or when it seems like her tummy hurts. The foster family told me she’s just a noisy breather but I’m wondering if it could be more than that.

Has anyone had issues like this before? Could the tummy trouble and labored breathing be related? I’ll keep working with her vet, but I hate taking her there because she had some sort of experience that has made her absolutely TERRIFIED of dogs. I do TeleVet when I can. I’m just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas.

Thank you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might ask the vet if you could put them on a probiotic for cats. If she is doing better on what you are giving her give it some more time to help too. I have my cats on a cat treat called Super Chews (Amazon) which helps with allergies, skin problems, and tummy problems. it seems to help a little. You might want to research DMG (Amazon/Walmart/Pet med sites) which is for immune health. It may help with chronic conditions. For respiratory relief in the acute stage I give Nose Relief, (Amazon) it seems to really help.Thank you for giving these two a home and the care they need, you will be blessed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might ask the vet if you could put them on a probiotic for cats. If she is doing better on what you are giving her give it some more time to help too. I have my cats on a cat treat called Super Chews (Amazon) which helps with allergies, skin problems, and tummy problems. it seems to help a little. You might want to research DMG (Amazon/Walmart/Pet med sites) which is for immune health. It may help with chronic conditions. For respiratory relief in the acute stage I give Nose Relief, (Amazon) it seems to really help.Thank you for giving these two a home and the care they need, you will be blessed!
Thank you for the suggestions, I’ll definitely check those products out!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Definitely check into using probiotics. They can really help out. So no lower intestinal issues? Only vomiting? I'm thinking that even though the new food helped, it could still be food related. Is this new food a dry food or wet? Personally, I'd try to feed a wet diet, something without any wheat, corn, soy, or fish and see what happens.

As far as the Vet goes, have you thought about seeing a cat only Vet? They handle only cats and so not only are there no dogs to scare the cats, they are usually better versed in cat ailments.