Tomorrow will be a sad day for me

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Tomorrow will be 2 years since my Mom died.

If that weren't sad enough, today I received a letter from my brother (the one who was still speaking to me when Mom died; however, we parted ways over a year ago, when DH called him to check on him, as we hadn't heard from him in months--and my brother spent 40 minutes yelling at DH on the phone, saying awful things about me. I never called him back.).  On the back of the envelope, in his wife's handwriting (he is paralyzed, and finds writing very difficult): "Sorry we took so long to get this to you; Mom wanted you to have it, etc." Inside, was a handwritten note from Mom, with 20 English pounds: "This is the last thing my mother gave to be before she died; give to Marge after I die." I started crying; there's something about seeing someone's handwriting after they died.  I sometimes get out my friend Alice's letters to me; she died in 2002; she was my best friend. My Grandmother died in 1983, BTW. Mom kept the money all of these years.

Last year, I took June 5th off from work, but I will be at work tormorrow, so I don't know how I'll be.

I will wear the silver charm bracelet I started in Mom's honor.  She was from Birmingham, and her parents were gold/silversmiths, with a shop attached to their house.  Birmingham is famous for its silver, so I bought a sterling silver charm bracelet from there, which was hallmarked in my birth year. I attached various sterling silver charms representing Mom. She always talked about charm bracelets, but I don't think she ever had one; she never wore bracelets. I think she'd like this, though!

Also, I picked some red roses from my garden, and will put them on my desk at work.  When she sold the house, I took a cutting from the rose bush that was always there.  I did root it, but it died. The next year, though, the same one sprouted up many feet away! Lordy, how she hated that red rose bush! She always tried to kill it, but it wouldn't die!  (She hated the color red.)

I'll also have my traditional bit of Cadbury chocolate bar tomorrow. Mom seldom ate sweets, but she loved Cadbury bars.

Do you think I should exchange the money for dollars, and put it toward something to remind me of Mom, such as a piece of jewelry? DH thinks I should keep it, and I sort of agree--but what use is the money when I die? I have no children to keep the tradition going.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my mother died, there was a little bit of money after my sister used the life insurance to pay for the funeral. My share was enough to buy a glider rocking chair. That was in 1985. I still have the rocker and it is a constant reminder of my Mother. I am so glad I used the money to buy something that I could keep. I am sorry for your loss. Having lost both parents, my experience is that life is never the same. I miss mine more all the time. But as time goes by, the memories become sweeter and more precious. I will be thinking of you and saying a prayer.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your mom.

As for the money, I think I'd keep it....at least for now. If there's something you really would like to have, then you have the money for it at that time. But for now, especially since the pounds are quite old, I'd keep them.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry about your mom. :hugs:
When my MIL died, my SIL bought a couple of pieces of jewelry with her inheritance. I know they have great sentimental value to her as a reminder of her mom, so I totally understand your charm bracelet.
As for the pounds, my inclination would be to keep them. Unless there is something really specific that you want to use them for, they may hold more value to you as a memento of your mother.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss. I hope today goes as well as it can for you.  I think I'd keep the money with the note, kind of something she touched before she passed...I might even frame it!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Extra :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: for you today. I think I'd hold onto the money also.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thoughts are with you at this time. All of us who have lost our parents can relate to how y ou are feeling.

I agree about holding onto the money for the time being. At some point in the future there might be something that you really need or want.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thinking of you today. :heart2: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

If it were me, I'd want to keep the note with the 20 pounds. Maybe get a little case for them, and keep them in my purse. Always there, her handwriting and something that meant something to HER because of her mom. :heart2:

kittymommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about your mom.  Mine passed in 2007 so I can relate.  It's hard, though it gets easier, it's still hard-her birthday, Mother's day, Christmas, etc.  My heart goes out to you and I hope you were very tender with yourself, we need to be especially kind to ourselves when these times come.  As for the money, my only thought is to say don't make any decisions now, wait until it's a different month.  :)  I hope you're smiling some today.  :)