Tomcat sexual frustration can cause gastric ulcer?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there. I have different comments so let me just list.

- In humans stress also doesn't directly cause ulcers as it was once believed. However it can indirectly, as stress changes the acid levels of the stomach, gut flora, etc And with that cause digestive issues like gastritis, IBS, acid reflux... (and also Ph level of urine which is a major risk for male cats as they are more likely to get blockages btw.) So your cat may or may not have had ulcers due to not getting neutered but it does make it worse.

- Neuter operation is a very simple procedure. In Turkey they release the street cats back to the streets the same days they get neutered and they do fine.

- Being a tomcat is extremely stressful for a cat no matter what. Not just over sexual frustration but also they get more aggressive and more alert about what other (male) cat might come around. Your cat would have less stress than a cat who lives with other cats of course but he still has the hormones and instincts there. This is extra problematic when he's indoor-only. He has the instinct to look for a mate but can't.

I don't think any digestive issue can be cured by neutering alone once it's there, but things won't get significantly better and there will be other problems probably in the future if he stays intact.

For the current situation, since it's shedding season I think it's also possible he's having trouble with the hair amount. There doesn't have to be puking hairballs, hair amount can still cause him to want to eat less if there is too much hair in there, and/or cause constipation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
MissClouseau MissClouseau

Valuable thoughts and tips!

I never think to hairball because he never vomits hairballs, but indeed, this does not mean that they are not present.
Could Echo see them?