Tomato pomace allergy?

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it possible for a cat to be allergic to this if they have a food sensitivity for tomato sauce?

One of my cats has had diarrhea for almost two months on Young Again and most recently c/d prescription food.

My vet is unable to resolve it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the diarrhea started shortly after beginning to eat the Young Again food, then it may be the tomato, or it could any of the other ingredients causing it. If your cat has been eating this food for a long time, that still doesn't rule out an allergy, as cats can become allergic to a certain food even after eating it for a while. It may not even be an allergy, per se, just an ingredient that doesn't agree with his/her digestive system.

The C/D food doesn't contain tomato that I know of, so the diarrhea could be a 'hold over' from the previous food if you just recently made the change. It can take time for your cat's system to readjust. However, if you did an abrupt change of foods, that in and of itself can cause diarrhea, at least temporarily. How long has your cat been eating the C/D food? If not long, you might give it another week or two and see if the diarrhea stops.

You say the vet is unable to resolve this - what did they try to do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the diarrhea started shortly after beginning to eat the Young Again food, then it may be the tomato, or it could any of the other ingredients causing it. If your cat has been eating this food for a long time, that still doesn't rule out an allergy, as cats can become allergic to a certain food even after eating it for a while. It may not even be an allergy, per se, just an ingredient that doesn't agree with his/her digestive system.

The C/D food doesn't contain tomato that I know of, so the diarrhea could be a 'hold over' from the previous food if you just recently made the change. It can take time for your cat's system to readjust. However, if you did an abrupt change of foods, that in and of itself can cause diarrhea, at least temporarily. How long has your cat been eating the C/D food? If not long, you might give it another week or two and see if the diarrhea stops.

You say the vet is unable to resolve this - what did they try to do?
Okay now I'm annoyed because it just got real confusing. C/d urinary + stress which does not contain tomato pomace but the c/d multicare metabolic urinary+ stress does have it.

It has been almost two months lke this (1 week on YA and 5-6 weeks on C/D. We've tried probiotics with FOS, probiotics with MOS, Fortiflora, and most recently 3 days of Pro-Pectalin, with 10 days antibiotics which were almost done with. No changes. We had a food sensitivity test done a little over a year ago and there's nothing other than the rules out tomato product which could be causing a problem.

Stool test came back clear for parasites etc.

The cat drinks a lot of water, is not vomiting, nor lethargic, nor have a poor appetite. It just has liquid stools.

I wonder if I'm overfeeding him based on his activity level.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think your next step is to take your cat off of any food containing tomato - pomace or otherwise. It might take a number of weeks thereafter, but if tomato by-products are the culprit, then the diarrhea should ultimately stop. If your cat has to be on a urinary care food, check out the other brands to see if they also contain that item.

(I looked at both Hill's C/D dry and wet and didn't see tomato pomace - just out of curiosity is it listed using other words? Or is the "C/D" name used in other brands besides Hill's?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think your next step is to take your cat off of any food containing tomato - pomace or otherwise. It might take a number of weeks thereafter, but if tomato by-products are the culprit, then the diarrhea should ultimately stop. If your cat has to be on a urinary care food, check out the other brands to see if they also contain that item.

(I looked at both Hill's C/D dry and wet and didn't see tomato pomace - just out of curiosity is it listed using other words? Or is the "C/D" name used in other brands besides Hill's?)
I was reading the wrong product. Their c/d multicare + stress does contain it. It's multiccare stress metabolic which does have it.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was reading the wrong product. Their c/d multicare + stress does contain it but it's not on the ingredients list for our bag... C/d urinary + stress which does not contain tomato pomace but the c/d multicare urinary+ stress does have tomato pomace but it's not on the label for our bag of food or on some sites. So perhaps Hills is changing their formula.
I will tell you the companies that manufacture pet foods have several months AFTER they change their formulas before they absolutely HAVE to re-do their ingredients list. On that note alone, I would find another product and try it instead.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will tell you the companies that manufacture pet foods have several months AFTER they change their formulas before they absolutely HAVE to re-do their ingredients list. On that note alone, I would find another product and try it instead.
You could also contact Hill's and ask about the tomato pomace and whether or not it will be included in all their C/D formulas.