To Inspire Hope

Lalexa67

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
image.jpg Upon meeting Martin DePaws for the first time I was not overwhelmingly convinced that I wanted or needed a new friend. I am brand spanking new to the empty nest. Single mom my entire adult life. Lacking in good looks he was full of charm and personality. He convinced me to take him home. (It was the day after christmas).

Martin has been sick and on antibiotics for most of his time with me. I almost lost him back in April. A complete panel was done and he was diagnosed with the colicivirus and cat micoplasma. FIV negative - third test for this one - all negatives.

With a long history of loving with all my heart and losing (people and pets) I was a bit devastated at first. But I was never one to give up - I am stubborn.

Martin got more antibiotics, 2x a day, an antihistimine, 1x day, a package of flora in the a.m. and viralys 2x day.

I fed him Royal Canin kitten, 1.5 wet mixed with 1/8 dry. 2x day and lots of spring water from a fountain so it stays cold.

I found a great vet that I can work with - she gets me. She is very fond of Martin and she is reassuring and supportive of my anxieties. Back in April she would never say he was going to be okay. She always kept it real and informed me that it would be a day by day with him. She always end our visits with “I know I have said it before but I will say it again, Martin is the luckiest cat in the world - very few would do what you do.” (Note: I am going to suggest she join your forum, there are so many amazing people on this site.)

After venting about Martins conditions, one friend asked, “another death Laura? Really?” This was my aha moment - my response was...

Eventually yes, none of us were built to last forever. But not today, today I get to go home and enjoy all of the magic, wonder and beauty that is Martin!

Martin DePaws turned one on August 11th my friends. He has been off the anti biotics, antihistimes and the flora since June (keep your fingers crossed). He will probably stay on the viralys for another 6 months because of his compromised immune system. And he has become my best friend. I monitor his behavior like a hawk.

The messages in the post are many. For who, I’m not really sure. For me, I have learned to love again, through a kittens journey. I am so grateful - I’m not sure how Martin feels about it but I’m sure in his mind he would title this adventure “the care and feeding of Laura.”

Recently I have been very active on this site. I find it comforting. I post my concerns and in return I get advice and care. I can’t thank you enough. Always stay positive, be grateful for today and Best to you always.

P.s. - attached is a pic of Martin patiently waiting for me to finish so I can clean his ears. He has grown into a beautiful adult.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What warms me so much about this is that what really pulled him through all of this was the love and support you gave him. You hoped and believed he could get better so in turn, he believed it too!

I was once told by my vet (my kitty Mika is chronically sick and I'm crossing my fingers some day she may get to where your Martin is) that it was very obvious that Mika was trying very hard to get better. But I remembered days where I thought she was giving up. I remember days where I thought to give up. But her and I pushed through together and she's 10x better than where she was when we first started. I think this is what happened with you and Martin too.

That bond you two have is what helped both of you along. It's really beautiful. I'm so happy for you and Martin! What an amazing cat momma you are. :hugs::redheartpump: