tnr'ed feral cat, something aint right

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Had a 11 month old boy cat neutered last wednesday and was returned by a charity on friday of last week [he was the only cat, that cried,when he was trapped], what was apparent as soon as he returned was excessive meowing.

Yesterday was the same, after eating moved to the entrance of a shelter i put together and started meowing, i woke up early this morning to hear and see him in the garden meowing.

Before the neuter he only meowed for food sometimes, after neuter excessive meow and he has started spraying, i haven't notice him exhibiting any physical discomfort, i.e. excessively grooming, or play with gentials.

One issue i think might be seperation anxiety as i caught his two sisters, two weeks back and they are being socialized and rehomed by the charity, to compound the issue there is another cat who is a female, but she is not very friendly towards him, even before the neuter, and now will swat him away, sometimes when they are eating or if he is somewhere she wants to be, they are both feral cats and outdoor, stroking them is a big no no.

I put the plate out and go back in and let them eat, sometimes i will stay outside.

The female cat i think is pregnant as she was in heat at the begining of jan and i saw her mated by two suitors, she is probably five or 6 weeks pregnant, although not showing as much.

One problem is the shelter i built can house both, tight fit [from an old speaker box] and the feline has called dibs on it, she uses it during the day, and both normally sleep at the end of the garden, under a haystack of branches i have around that area, i will be putting together and shelter today or tomorrow.

Could the cat be in pain after neuter, anxiety from seperation, loneliness as the feline is not as welcoming as his sisters were, he eats fine.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is good he is eating, that is often a sign things are well. He may very well be missing his sisters and calling for them, cats take at least two weeks before they stop, and he may be more anxious because of his surgery. It could be the anesthetic too. It messes with the brains of some and hopefully, that will leave his system soon. It takes at least 30 days for the hormones to completely leave his body, so the spraying and vocalizing still might be caused by those left in his body. as long as he is eating, drinking, and not hiding, things are going well. If he quits eating and starts hiding, I'm afraid he would need to see the vet. Can you see the surgical area at all? Is there any signs of infection, which could be causing pain and excessive meowing too? I would think he would be licking it a lot though. You might give him a few more days and see how it goes. I really think he has been traumatized and is seeking comfort.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is good he is eating, that is often a sign things are well. He may very well be missing his sisters and calling for them, cats take at least two weeks before they stop, and he may be more anxious because of his surgery. It could be the anesthetic too. It messes with the brains of some and hopefully, that will leave his system soon. It takes at least 30 days for the hormones to completely leave his body, so the spraying and vocalizing still might be caused by those left in his body. as long as he is eating, drinking, and not hiding, things are going well. If he quits eating and starts hiding, I'm afraid he would need to see the vet. Can you see the surgical area at all? Is there any signs of infection, which could be causing pain and excessive meowing too? I would think he would be licking it a lot though. You might give him a few more days and see how it goes. I really think he has been traumatized and is seeking comfort.....
he has been alot better today, mixed in two tea sppons of flax seed oil into his wet food this morning, he did not eat it all, but it done the trick, he was constipated, i think, as since doing a poo, he seems better, not meowing any more, he is trying to scent mark me, i also managed to stroke both cats this evening whilst they were eating.

i can see the surgical area all looks fine, he is cat, so is the feline, i observed a tom cat enter my garden and as they faced off, him sitting about 2 metres away from the tom, he got up , made a hunch back, i moved towards the feline for cover, which is not good going forward.

i will monitor his behaviour over the next few days.