Tnr, Try To Rehab? Or Try To Relocate?

Knead2purr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me forst state thar I own cats but have never worked with a feral. I have several in my neighborhood that I ‘ve been feeding and monitoring. Right now, it seems like there are about 4 kittens and 2 adults. I only have one trap and my town has no tnr program. Ao, if I manage to trap and spay/neuter, the cats can still be picked up and euthanized.
However, I just had one male kitten rapped and took him to the vet. The kittens are about 5 months. He was VERY afraid, very wild and very violent. He bit and clawed at the vet.
The vet told me that it is possible to try to work with ferals but the results may not be great. Also, I only have a garage in which to keep a feral. I am assuming the other kittens will basically have the same temperaments. I am fearful of trying to interact with cats like this but I’d hate to see them picked up and euthanized. My first concern is for the cats well being but I’m also paying for the vet bills at my own expense. The free neuter/spay clinics dont perform any other testing, vaccinations, etc.
The best case scenario would be to find a way to reloate th cats to a place where they would be unlikely to be put down. I have not been able to find suxh a place.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep researching until you maybe find such a place, but I have found that it is difficult enough to find a home for a tame cat, much less a feral one. They are almost as bad as zucchini!
I have TNR'd about 10 cats now, all out of my own pocket (165.00/ea) and this includes vaccinations. My vet has a 'chamber' to put the whole trap, carrier, etc. and to gas them first to relax them. Everyone that brings a feral cat in has to make sure that the fact that they are feral is prominently displayed. There are many cases of techs and vets getting bit and then euthanizing or holding the cat for several weeks to make sure they don't have rabies.
I have found, and like to spread the word, that even though it is horribly expensive to neuter these cats that aren't even ours, it is still MUCH cheaper than having new litters born every couple of months, and then having their babies have litters. Feral toms fight constantly over females and territory, I have one ten year old who is scarred, one eyed, and still getting abscesses. Abscesses are difficult to treat, it is hard to give antibiotics to a cat that doesn't show up all the time. He has never been trapped. When the population gets too big, we had about twenty at one time, the diseases come, distemper wiped out most of them and we spent a fortune trying to keep some alive. It was so heartbreaking I vowed right then to get the survivors taken care of and I did.So many tiny kittens died, despite vaccinations and round the clock care.
Just keep doing what you are doing and what you can afford. Try to get on the internet or contact your local shelter and see if they can help. Try to get the females done first. I did two a year for a while, it was all I could afford. But it is well worth it, the males no longer fight at all, the feral toms ignore the neutered boys, and NO MORE KITTENS!
Our town euthanizes feral cats too, it also has a law that says cats are supposed to be leashed, and there is to be NO feeding of any feral animal. Stupid, yes, what about the squirrels, birds, and wildlife?! We have cat haters on the local board and tried to change it but failed. People (like me) just 'own' a lot of cats I guess, and are willing to go up to protest any fines very publically. Our shelter is a no kill and it is a lucky cat that goes there, but they are overrun with cats and understaffed. Ferals cannot be placed easily and are usually hurt or diseased, so they are taken in very reluctantly. They are great at socializing kittens, and there is a very compassionate staff that does try to place adult ferals with farmers, but I worry about how they are introduced to a new place. Good luck, I commend you in trying to help these little ones, just remember, they are so extremely fortunate to have you, and love you for it. Just keep going and do what you can!

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would start plugging away at doing TNR on them. I am fortunate to have a low cost spay/neuter clinic that charges $40-50 per cat and includes a rabies shot. I know how expensive it can get.

If you are not up for socializing them, you could get them all fixed and allow them to remain on your property and provide food and shelter for them. I know this too can get very expensive. Yet there are some inexpensive shelters than can be built that would keep them warm and dry.

I currently have 3 ferals on my deck that have been with me for 3-7 years. I also have brought 2 full grown male feral cats into my home and socialized. It takes lots and lots of work and dedication. Yet it can be done. I will be moving in 4-5 months and will take my outside feral cats along. My goal is to bring them all into the house to co exist with my other 3 cats.

You can always start by just doing TNR and see how they progress and decide to bring them inside later. Spay/neuter should be first priority.

Thank you for helping these kitties. You mean the world to them.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just keep researching until you maybe find such a place, but I have found that it is difficult enough to find a home for a tame cat, much less a feral one. They are almost as bad as zucchini!
I have TNR'd about 10 cats now, all out of my own pocket (165.00/ea) and this includes vaccinations. My vet has a 'chamber' to put the whole trap, carrier, etc. and to gas them first to relax them. Everyone that brings a feral cat in has to make sure that the fact that they are feral is prominently displayed. There are many cases of techs and vets getting bit and then euthanizing or holding the cat for several weeks to make sure they don't have rabies.
I have found, and like to spread the word, that even though it is horribly expensive to neuter these cats that aren't even ours, it is still MUCH cheaper than having new litters born every couple of months, and then having their babies have litters. Feral toms fight constantly over females and territory, I have one ten year old who is scarred, one eyed, and still getting abscesses. Abscesses are difficult to treat, it is hard to give antibiotics to a cat that doesn't show up all the time. He has never been trapped. When the population gets too big, we had about twenty at one time, the diseases come, distemper wiped out most of them and we spent a fortune trying to keep some alive. It was so heartbreaking I vowed right then to get the survivors taken care of and I did.So many tiny kittens died, despite vaccinations and round the clock care.
Just keep doing what you are doing and what you can afford. Try to get on the internet or contact your local shelter and see if they can help. Try to get the females done first. I did two a year for a while, it was all I could afford. But it is well worth it, the males no longer fight at all, the feral toms ignore the neutered boys, and NO MORE KITTENS!
Our town euthanizes feral cats too, it also has a law that says cats are supposed to be leashed, and there is to be NO feeding of any feral animal. Stupid, yes, what about the squirrels, birds, and wildlife?! We have cat haters on the local board and tried to change it but failed. People (like me) just 'own' a lot of cats I guess, and are willing to go up to protest any fines very publically. Our shelter is a no kill and it is a lucky cat that goes there, but they are overrun with cats and understaffed. Ferals cannot be placed easily and are usually hurt or diseased, so they are taken in very reluctantly. They are great at socializing kittens, and there is a very compassionate staff that does try to place adult ferals with farmers, but I worry about how they are introduced to a new place. Good luck, I commend you in trying to help these little ones, just remember, they are so extremely fortunate to have you, and love you for it. Just keep going and do what you can!
The one thing that gets most small communities attention is money, especially since most towns don't have a lot of resources. I live (well, seven miles out) in a small town of 3,000 and they are pretty anti cat also. It is a farming area and we do have 3 large grain elevators in the town limits. Grain elevators feed rats and mice because they always have spills and leaks. Anyway, I wish someone could do a study of what it costs for the poison and other means to control the vermin as opposed to the cost of maintaining a healthy hunting feral cat colony that would naturally control vermin without poisoning anything. I think it would be pretty dramatic in terms of savings. Just the cost of having to pay someone a salary to keep the vermin down would pay for all the vet bills to keep a healthy colony.
I sometimes wonder if it will take a few rounds of the black death plague to open some people's eyes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Knead2purr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Knead2purr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have TNR'd about 10 cats now, all out of my own pocket (165.00/ea) and this includes vaccinations. M very reluctantly. They are great at socializing kittens, and there is a very compassionate staff that does try to place adult ferals with farmers, but I worry about how they are introduced to a new place. Good luck, I commend you in trying to help these little ones, just remember, they are so extremely fortunate to have you, and love you for it. Just keep going and do what you can!

Knead2purr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never done TNR, so I have some concerns about the health and safety of the cats. First, the cats, right now, don't live on my property. I don't know where they live. I can leave my fence door open and put a shelter in the yard but I don't know if they'll go back there. We also have a lawn mowing service in the spring and summer, which might disturb and scare them. I was thinking of putting a small fencing enclosure on the side of my house, close to where I've been feeding them, and putting at least one shelter there but I'm afraid neighbors will see it and call animal control.
My other issue is that the vet told me that females need about 10 days to recover and males need about 6. Where do I keep feral cats, while they're recovering from surgery?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have only done TNR on male cats. I bring them home the evening of neuter and release the next morning. I have heard that females may need 48 hours to recoop after TNR. 6-10 days is ridiculous.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, females need 2-3 days to recover if all goes well. If they were either in heat or pregnant when spayed, then recovery can take a few days longer because in those situations there is more bleeding and swelling and the surgery is more complicated. The clinic I use has boarded my ferals and strays for a few days free of charge after the surgery, but I think this is unusual--though perhaps some clinics would do this for a small boarding fee. I think most people keep a recovering cat in a crate or in a room by itself inside their house, or in their garage until time to release or re-home.

Feral cats are very smart and adjust to the sounds of lawn mowers and other gardening tools, barking dogs, radios, etc. Once they figure out that these noises are harmless, they are able to tune them out.

It sounds like you are in a really tough predicament with your neighbors. I don't know what the laws are like in your area, but in my area, if you have veterinary records for a cat, which you would have if you had the cat spayed or neutered, legally the cat is yours. And if the cat is yours, anti-cruelty laws protect them. Some clinics like the Humane Society and Animal Friends have low cost packages for ferals that include the spay or neuter, rabies vaccine, flea medication, and microchip. The microchip would identify you as the owner so the cat could not just be picked up and euthanized. That is how it works in my area, you may need to clarify how it works in yours.

Even if you can only help one or two of those cats, it would make a world of difference to them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Except for the kittens---keep in mind that the cats have survived this long, so they must know what they're doing. Winter, lawn mowers, angry neighbors, they have already dealt with those things.

Ask the vet to use dissolvable sutures on the females. Keep them in for about 3 days. The garage is fine, or if you have a spare bathroom. You can even keep them in a carrier or trap, just put newpaper down to absorb. Males can be released as soon as they aren't dopey anymore, usually around 24 hours.

Most cats won't be trapped twice, so it's not a huge risk of them getting caught by Animal Control.

Having them spayed/neutered is doing them a huge favor, so even if that's all you can do, it's so much better than doing nothing.

Knead2purr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was really hoping to try to rehabilitate the kittens but I brought the male home today and he is SOOOO frightened of people. I almost feel bad for doing this to him. I don't know if I should try or not. I paid the vet's office to board him for a few days after the surgery but they told me to keep him for another 7 days and to check the surgery area. That's impossible. I can keep him in my garage for a few days and see what happens. I have him set up in there with the open trap, a cardboard box with a blanket and bed inside, a litter box (he was using a litter box at the vet's office) and his food and water. I know that at least one of his littermates is female and I would really like to trap and spay her. However, with all the cats coming around, and me with only one trap, it's going to be difficult to get her, specifically.
At this point, I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I'd rather these young cats not be exposed to winter outside in the cold and a lifetime of being fearful, having tapeworm and fleas. On the other hand, this seems to be a small colony and obviously, the cat is scared now in my garage. Even though he's young, he may never come around completely. Sometimes, I think he'd be better off with the rest of his clan.
My biggest concern is that my neighbors are moving soon and I don't think new neighbors will tolerate feral cats. I don't want to go all through this to have these cats euthanized. I could consider microchipping but what happens when I go to the shelter to get the cat(s), after it's been picked up and I can't go near it because it's feral and doesn't have any idea who I am?
I really wish I had a way to relocate them to an area where TNR is practiced and free roaming cat laws exist. Eventually, somebody is going to call animal control. There's a cop on my street and if he sees these cats, I think he will definitely call.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he was boarded at the vet clinic for a couple days after the neuter, and if there were no complications, you shouldn't need to keep him inside your garage for another 7 days. Right now it sounds as if he is very stressed being confined in the garage.

Is it possible to install a cat door on the garage so he (and perhaps others) could come and go at will? You could set up a feeding station and a heated pet house for warmth. Many people care for feral cats outside and they survive winter fine. He will likely never enter a trap again , so he stands a good chance of not getting caught by animal control. He could have a good chance of having a good life as a neutered cat with a caregiver providing food and shelter.

Is a possible to communicate with your neighbors and let them know that he is your cat? You may not be able to save all of the feral cats, but you could save him, and communication with neighbors is very helpful. You may even find a few willing to help you.

Last edited:

Knead2purr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually, I’m very worried about my noeghbors because one is a cop, who is not really approachable. He ‘s very fanatical about his property and I’m very concerned that he’s going to call animal control.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are things going with the kitty? Is he still in your garage? Has there been any progress with him socially?

You might want to consider getting the kitty a breakaway collar with a name tag with your phone number on it. You can make a little metal one with your pet's name on it at PetSmart for a couple of dollars. The collar with your cat's name and your phone number on it and your veterinary records prove ownership. As a police officer your neighbor will know that he can't and legally shouldn't harm your cat because it's against the law. I personally think it's best to approach neighbors and have a frank discussion with them in situations such as these. Let them know you are a responsible caregiver who has neutered the cat and is providing it with food and shelter. Let them know that this is your cat, that you love it, and intend to protect it. I've been in the situation of having to deal with hostile neighbors a few times, and have had those discussions, and no one has ever harmed or try to harm one of my outdoor feral cats. I am something of a mama bear though lol.

At the end of the day, your choices are to either take him into your home and work at socializing him, or allow him back outside and be his caregiver and do your best for him and hope for the best. Outdoor cats face more dangers than indoor cats, but they can still live several years with proper care.

When I was very attached to one particular outdoor feral cat who was beyond the age or temperament of socialization, I was constantly worrying and stressed. I made myself miserable with worry at times when he roamed and would be gone for a few days. I hope you can find a way to care for this Kitty and others and still maintain your own peace of mind.

Last edited:

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How are things going with the kitty? Is he still in your garage? Has there been any progress with him socially?

You might want to consider getting the kitty a breakaway collar with a name tag with your phone number on it. You can make a little metal one with your pet's name on it at PetSmart for a couple of dollars. The collar with your cat's name and your phone number on it and your veterinary records prove ownership. I hope you can find a way to care for this Kitty and others and still maintain your own peace of mind.
Well, as far as socialization, I'm not getting anywhere. The main problem is that I wasn't able to close off all the possible hiding places in my garage. I NEVER see the cat. The only evidence I have of him, is the litter box and the eaten food. I don't know what I'm going to do at this point. I tried opening the door twice last night, to give him the opportunity to leave and he didn't go. I really have no idea what to do now. The longer he stays, the longer he'll think that's his home. I have other kittenst hat I want to fix and put in there with him. They're his littermates. However, I cannot have 4 cats hiding out in my garage for however many years. I won't be able to get them to a vet or anything. I have a trail camera that I can put in there to see where he goes but I have no way to get him out, anyway.