TNR release issues

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We did a TNR at a farm but I'm at a crossroad. Tomorrow we're going to release the 3 real ferals back to the farm and I was going to release one younger tom and another cat, however the tom is not well and the other cat is clearly very used to humans. I''m not really sure what to do. I told the farmer I would bring back 5 but it's irresponsible to release a not so well cat and it breaks my heart to release a cat who was clearly used to humans at one point. She rolls around and we can pet her, she headbutts our hands when we set down food, she talks to us. I think she can become adoptable to a nice quiet home...What do I do?

My other dillemma is, I have another tom from a different location and he's healthy, fixed and not really fond on humans. I can pet him when he eats but if he notices my hand he'll flatten his ears and retreat. Is it possible to release him at the same location to give the girls some protection or will he just travel back to his old home?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CAN you find a home for the tame one? If so, that's probably best. But in some places it's very hard to find homes for adult cats, and a barn home isn't the worst thing in the world. Tame farm cats often get a fair amount of attention---farmers spend a lot of time outside or in the barn, after all.

Talk to the farmer. It's not fair to just take the cats and not bring them back if that's what they want. They may be attached to some of the cats.

If you take the other cat there, he'll need to be confined for about a month so he knows he lives there. Otherwise, yes, he'll probably just go back to his home territory. This will also require communication with the farm owner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The farmer and his son didn't really want any of them back but the farmer's wife did. To keep the mice and rats in check.
One of the kittens was sickly and the first response they gave me was put it down. They're good people but not really into cats, except to keep the vermin at bay.

Thank you for the info

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Which one? The young tom I had planned on releasing?
He seems to respond better to my husband, he's friendly in that he purrs when stroked but he can also be nippy and regress. Picking him up is an issue.
For now he needs extra care and medication, maybe I can release him back after he's really out of the woods but time will tell

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oof, ok that was so much harder than I imagined. It was great watching the girls run off and I know it's best for them but it was still hard. At least they won't have litter after litter anymore

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
so The sick one is also pretty tame?