TNR for raccoons - absurd idea or possibility worth looking into?

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Call me crazy, but I'm starting to think a Trap-Neuter-Return for raccoons would be a good thing. A family or two of them visit nightly, and it always seems like there are new babies. My neighborhood keeps adding new developments, so I suspect they're running out of wild land to live on. They're very cute. According to the local Animal Control website, if anyone complains, they just come out and trap and kill them.
Our neighbor does that.

Do you think a TNR for raccoons is a silly idea?

Either way, I have no idea whom to talk to or how to make my idea heard. In order to have a TNR there would have to be a vet capable of spaying and neutering raccoons nearby. I know some people actually keep them as pets, and I believe it's legal to do so in my state. Maybe I could start a petition to Animal Control (or a wildlife rehab facility?)? TNR is probably expensive though
. Any thoughts on how to go about this?

On a related note, I know there are oral rabies vaccines for raccoons (in a tasty bait), but I don't know if an individual can just purchase some. Does anyone know? I'd ask Animal Control to do it, but most likely they would give me a trap instead. I want "our" raccoons to be safe and healthy!

If your read all that, thanks! I appreciate your input.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You ARE putting yourself in danger working with any wild animal, exsp. one that is known for carrying rabies. What is your plan if you get bit & take it to a vet & find out it has rabies?

Another issue is finding a vet... that will even see a raccoon, they are really scared of rabies. You need to look at all aspects of this.Try contacting a mayor or someone like that... & vets that do exotics, ask them if they would assist you with neut/rabies meds. Another prob I foresee is that the county will still trap & kill. It may set back your efforts a bit if the ones you have done just get trapped and killed. You may need permits to trap them.

I love the idea, but not sure how do-able this will be....

They are very cute critters who do not deserve to die just because humans are destroying their homes.

srrh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think this is a great idea, not absurd at all.

I wonder if raccoons could be ear tipped like feral cats, and perhaps that could cut down on the killing by animal control. You would definitely need to find some way to drum up publicity for it. Perhaps you could contact exotic vets, find one that would be able to help you, then see if you could get some interest from one of your local news stations about your idea?

Please keep us updated if you decide to go through with it!

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMO, I don't think it's right. To me that is kind of like playing God with nature. Unlike stray/feral cats, raccoons are wild animals that are native to a lot of areas of the US (not sure if they are ALL over the US, but I know we've got a surplus here! lol). I just don't like the idea of playing God with nature. To me it's the same as saying "well, there's too many people, let's start altering some of them." But like I said, that's just me. Everyone has their reasons.

What would seem logical to me is possibly vaccinating them for rabies, if possible. And maybe in very densely-populated areas where there are sooo many people, it could be fine to possibly do a TNR program. Like my town, it could possibly be a good idea. Almost every night when I go outside for a cigarette I see/hear at least one raccoon in the alley (along with cats). And my town is just basically a network of alleys, so you can imagine how many stray/feral cats we have and how many "critters". But not in rural areas- that to me is wrong. I think of it as we are encroaching (sp?) on their natural habitat, and they seem to thrive with larger populations of people, where there is more garbage and stuff. I see it as we are in their way, they were here first.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mismaris777

IMO, I don't think it's right. To me that is kind of like playing God with nature. Unlike stray/feral cats, raccoons are wild animals that are native to a lot of areas of the US (not sure if they are ALL over the US, but I know we've got a surplus here! lol). I just don't like the idea of playing God with nature. To me it's the same as saying "well, there's too many people, let's start altering some of them." But like I said, that's just me. Everyone has their reasons.

What would seem logical to me is possibly vaccinating them for rabies, if possible. And maybe in very densely-populated areas where there are sooo many people, it could be fine to possibly do a TNR program. Like my town, it could possibly be a good idea. Almost every night when I go outside for a cigarette I see/hear at least one raccoon in the alley (along with cats). And my town is just basically a network of alleys, so you can imagine how many stray/feral cats we have and how many "critters". But not in rural areas- that to me is wrong. I think of it as we are encroaching (sp?) on their natural habitat, and they seem to thrive with larger populations of people, where there is more garbage and stuff. I see it as we are in their way, they were here first.
If it weren't for us, there would not be so many raccoons prowling alleys, getting into OUR garbage, etc. WE have done the damage. Why not TNR? I don't think anyone is talking about going into the deep woods and catching racoons at random, just those that share our urban environment.
I don't know the feasabilty of the idea, but I think it is a good one worth consideration.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that in areas where they have lost their habitat and the natural predators that would have kept the population down it would be a good thing. Probably the one to get info from would be the closest wildlife rehabber to you. They would know which vets would do the work, and what the local laws regarding it would be.

Coons can be extremely rough animals, and need to be handled with extreme care and as little as possible. If you do decide to go into this check on the human rabies vaccine which is availiable in some areas for veterianarians and those who work extensively with strays.

naturesgift

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
B/c of the fact that in most states it is illegal for most Rehabbers (except those that are RVS licensed) to Rehab Coons. I dont think encouraging ppl to handle wildlife is safe. I also however think its cruel for them to be caught and killed.But It would be benifical to trap and relocate. B/c even if they are S/N they are still going to be lacking their natural habitat thus forcing them to steal from ppls trash..make nests in houses. And they would be killed anyways when someone complains. So it would be a waste to spend all that money TNRing them..only to release them to be killed for just trying to survive.

Human Rabies shots are VERY expensive.

Mandie

catfur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it's pretty pointless. There's a pretty big supply of racoons out there, and they are perfectly capabale of surviving and multiplying in semi-urban environments. As soon as the ones you TNR (or kill, or trap and remove, or whatever) die off more will move in, they aren't being driven into your area by development, they are moving in to take advantage of the available resources.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

If it weren't for us, there would not be so many raccoons prowling alleys, getting into OUR garbage, etc. WE have done the damage. Why not TNR? I don't think anyone is talking about going into the deep woods and catching racoons at random, just those that share our urban environment.
I don't know the feasabilty of the idea, but I think it is a good one worth consideration.
I stick by my decision/opinion: I personally don't like the idea. There are a lot of people that are basically asking for raccoons to get into their garbages by not securing their trash properly. Leaving trash out and trashcans open is an open invitation for them, so part of their being able to thrive in populated areas is the fault of the humans (not all humans, but a lot). Securing garbage so they can't get to it will cause them to search elsewhere for food, thus making it harder for them to thrive so well and overpopulate. We need to be responsible with the actions we take and be very aware of it's impact on nature and the environment. (by "we", I mean people in general)

And a TNR program may deem itself somewhat useless- there are SOOOO many of them, it could end up to be a waste of money and time that can be spent elsewhere, like making securable garbage containment and such.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there's an oral birth control for raccoons available (I know there's one for foxes), but I don't know how you'd get it. Maybe if you ask your vet? Unless a few of the raccoons have become your special "pets", I don't know how effective TNR would be.

raccoontnr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have started reading about raccoons. It turns out that their life span in the wild is about ten times less than in captivity. Raccoon life is hard! They face diseases and a lot of competition from fellow raccoons. They fight each other over territory. This tells me that, in many places, raccoons have reached their population limit. I think raccoons would have more enjoyable lives if they could have birth control. Then each raccoon would have more available resources and less conflict with fellow raccoons. Ideally, we could limit the number of babies so that females could still enjoy raising a baby but have less stress and the raccoons would lead easier lives with more space, less competition and less violence. Prior to human occupation of North America, raccoons only lived near streams and wetlands in what is now the Southeast United States. Because raccoons benefit from living near human habitation, they have spread throughout North America. We enjoy raccoons living near us, and they enjoy living near us. We should reduce raccoon suffering by providing them with birth control and hopefully, disease control as well.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been having the same thoughts. The house I inherited from my father now has three generations of raccoons living in the crawl space. They'd been summering in a huge old tree beside the house that a neighbor had to cut way back because it dropped two tree-sized limbs without warning.

I'm going to do some research and see if the NonOvulin I use on the cats might work on the raccoons, or if there's some other edible birth control that might work on them. I'll post what I find out.