Tired of family drama! **Long**

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that you are upset and angry and frustrated with the whole situation.

However, what you need to do is sit down, and write a letter using effective communication skills.

If you are talking to them the way you come across in your posts, that is putting them on the defensive immediately and blocking any hope of anything changing because they feel you are blaming them and instinct is to defend.

Here is an excellent link to improving your verbal communication skills that go far in resolving conflicts.

http://stress.about.com/od/relations...ealthycomm.htm

http://www.kellyservices.ca/web/ca/s...unication.html

Here is another one giving examples of things you SHOULDN'T do/use when effectively communicating.

http://stress.about.com/od/relations...onflictres.htm

http://cte.uwaterloo.ca/teaching_res...trategies.html

You're unhappy and lashing out at them because you feel taken advantage of. Therefore your tone, body language, words....all come across as being in attack mode.

Because you are in attack mode, they feel they are being attacked, and instead of hearing what you are really trying to say to them ("I feel overwhelmed with the responsibility that has been placed on me"), all they hear is you placing blame at their feet and saying "YOU! YOU! YOU!"

There is blame on everyone's part, even yours. We teach people how to treat us by not speaking up (nicely) and putting up limits. The more you give, the more people take, until you reach the point you are at now.

Now you need to step back, calm down, sit down and write a letter to your Mom and whomever else, using the tips that are given in those links above.

You don't need to show it to them...at least not yet....but the more you write it down in a calm fashion the better you will be able to find your exact points and be able to present them calmly.

Use phrases such as "I feel...." and "I would appreciate...."

Something like "I feel obligated to always cancel my plans to look after my brother, and that upsets me."

That one sentence above gets your whole point across and the other person doesn't feel like you are attacking them.

Avoid sentences such as "Why do you" or "You make me feel...." (no one makes us feel anything..... we make ourselves feel and thus own our own feelings)

The next thing is to sit and listen to what they have to say, using body language that is open and receptive to actually listening to what they have to say to you in return. Now, they are not likely to be using effective communication, the important thing is to remember to keep using it yourself and not become defensive and loud when you are replying to something they've said in a less than stellar manner.

Another good thing to do is before replying, is to do some reflective listening. Basically rephrase what you just heard. That makes sure that you are replying to exactly what they just said. For example...."Ok, what I hear you saying is......" and then interpret/paraphrase what you just heard. Don't repeat everything they just said to you....just a quick paraphrase. Here is a link that will be helpful to you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2314760_use-...echniques.html

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you've had to go through all the family drama. I can't tell you what to do, but I know if I was in your situation, I'd move about 500+ miles away and start a new life. That's the best way to keep family at arms length, and not to get tied up in everyone's drama. The users would have to find another way to fend for themselves, and you would have the peace of mind to not feel guilty if you wanted to go somewhere that didn't involve babysitting.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kailie, I feel so bad for you. Being in the middle of a family drama myself, I do have some understanding of what you're going thru.

As I said from the beginning, all I wanted was an apology for the way I was treated, but in her eyes, she never does anything wrong, and she will never apologize.
That's how things stand with me and my drama, too. It's hard when it's someone you love, but there are times you simply MUST take a stand. Like you, I'm sure my family thinks I should step up and try to make things right. Also like you, I'm not the one who needs to make an apology. Believe me, honey, I know how difficult this is for you. My drama has been going on for months, and it doesn't seem as if an end is in sight. It also sounds as if you and I are in the same situation where the other party has had a chance to tell her version of events, making you look like a horrible person. I discovered that once I had the opportunity to let people know the truth, I felt loads better.

All I can tell you is don't back down; if you do, you're going to end up being a doormat again. As tough as it is, you obviously have the strength to get thru it. Hopefully, someday your Mom will realize how badly she's treated you and try to make amends. Once things calm down a little, you'll realize how good it feels not to be involved in drama constantly.

Sending you loads of calming .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I understand that you are upset and angry and frustrated with the whole situation.

However, what you need to do is sit down, and write a letter using effective communication skills.

If you are talking to them the way you come across in your posts, that is putting them on the defensive immediately and blocking any hope of anything changing because they feel you are blaming them and instinct is to defend.

Here is an excellent link to improving your verbal communication skills that go far in resolving conflicts.

http://stress.about.com/od/relations...ealthycomm.htm

http://www.kellyservices.ca/web/ca/s...unication.html

Here is another one giving examples of things you SHOULDN'T do/use when effectively communicating.

http://stress.about.com/od/relations...onflictres.htm

http://cte.uwaterloo.ca/teaching_res...trategies.html

You're unhappy and lashing out at them because you feel taken advantage of. Therefore your tone, body language, words....all come across as being in attack mode.

Because you are in attack mode, they feel they are being attacked, and instead of hearing what you are really trying to say to them ("I feel overwhelmed with the responsibility that has been placed on me"), all they hear is you placing blame at their feet and saying "YOU! YOU! YOU!"

There is blame on everyone's part, even yours. We teach people how to treat us by not speaking up (nicely) and putting up limits. The more you give, the more people take, until you reach the point you are at now.

Now you need to step back, calm down, sit down and write a letter to your Mom and whomever else, using the tips that are given in those links above.

You don't need to show it to them...at least not yet....but the more you write it down in a calm fashion the better you will be able to find your exact points and be able to present them calmly.

Use phrases such as "I feel...." and "I would appreciate...."

Something like "I feel obligated to always cancel my plans to look after my brother, and that upsets me."

That one sentence above gets your whole point across and the other person doesn't feel like you are attacking them.

Avoid sentences such as "Why do you" or "You make me feel...." (no one makes us feel anything..... we make ourselves feel and thus own our own feelings)

The next thing is to sit and listen to what they have to say, using body language that is open and receptive to actually listening to what they have to say to you in return. Now, they are not likely to be using effective communication, the important thing is to remember to keep using it yourself and not become defensive and loud when you are replying to something they've said in a less than stellar manner.

Another good thing to do is before replying, is to do some reflective listening. Basically rephrase what you just heard. That makes sure that you are replying to exactly what they just said. For example...."Ok, what I hear you saying is......" and then interpret/paraphrase what you just heard. Don't repeat everything they just said to you....just a quick paraphrase. Here is a link that will be helpful to you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2314760_use-...echniques.html
I really do appreciate this message hun, but I HAVE done all of this, many, many times in the past. I have also vollunteered to go to family councelling to get a third party perspective, but she won't go. What I wrote in my posts was after the fact, after years and years of accumulation. I also understand that I am far from perfect and that I am to blame as well, but truthfully I'm done with blame. I just want to be heard, and understood. I have begged, I have pleaded, I have cried (GOD how I've cried). I have sat down and calmly plead my case so many times only to end up in a puddle of tears because of the associated guilt trips I get afterwards. I really, really don't know what more I can do that I haven't already done.

I am going to go to councelling on my own. If one day she decides to join me, that would be great, but I am still going to try to work what I can out on my end.

Anyway guys, I'm sorry to bring this all here... I really shouldn't have. I don't want to bring anyone down or anyone to think I'm trying to seek attention or anything.

Thank you all for your kind words.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyway guys, I'm sorry to bring this all here... I really shouldn't have. I don't want to bring anyone down or anyone to think I'm trying to seek attention or anything.
Kailie, don't you apologize for anything! We're your friends, and if you can't talk to your friends about your troubles, who can you talk to?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Kailie, don't you apologize for anything! We're your friends, and if you can't talk to your friends about your troubles, who can you talk to?
I just don't want it to seem like all I ever do is whine hun, and I don't want to be a constant downer or anything.

I am sorry that you going going through a mess of your own as well. I think all families have their own drama, huh? Blood may be thicker than water, but well, I think we can really choose whether we want to be happy or not and if our family only makes us miserable, why put ourselves through it?

One day at a time I guess.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kailie, you're hardly a constant downer. You've got ONE THREAD venting about a family situation that is really hurting you, hun. Otherwise you're nothing but a beacon of light and smiles and help to everyone else here, DESPITE all the negativity going on in your life.

Like Libby says, we're your friends, and friend are there with hugs and big shoulders, because venting and advice are something we all need from time-to-time.

I'm glad, at least, that you've got your Aunt who's been there and understands.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish things were better in your family, hun! I also came from a place full of drama and trauma!! After my mom died I completely removed myself from the rest of the family. I can feel bad all by myself--I don't need their help.
I wish we could pick our families like we can pick our friends, but...
It took me years of soul searching, but I finally decided to look at the whole situation like this: God or Fate put me with this group of people for a reason. There was a lesson I had to learn. I got to learn how NOT to be like Them!!
My family is more than just flawed human beings--they tend to be heartless....
I think that's why I turned to Cats as my salvation. Family has always let me down, but my babies never have. My cats have given me what my family never had to give
You have a different set of circumstances you're struggling with and all I can do is give you support, love and prayers. As far as a good family--you have Dana and the Nifty Nine and all of Us to help fill part of that emptiness in your heart...