Tips On Taking Pics, Anyone?

Cmmack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone have any tips on taking pics of the kitties? I'm trying to get some of my babies, and failing abysmally. They all end up like this:

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you've got a skitty kittie then it's not easy. Oliver is easy as he's a bit lazy and is normally still (in his favourite box usually).
I have a similar problem to you with Chubchub who bombs around like a crazy dude but I've still managed to grab quite a lot. The amount of pics I have like yours above are countless.
Apart from training them to be still, It's a matter of having a phone or camera to hand and just take lots and lots whenever an opportunity arises. Most professional photographers of any discipline take dozens and then end up picking the few good ones out. I had a job that required a lot of photography and I did the same.
Also if some one else attracts their attention with playing or giving a treat etc. you may have a chance to snap a few.
I'm sure you know already but you can set your phone, or whatever, to take multiple shots and usually one or two will be OK.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A toy (type Da Bird cat toy) can be very helpful too ; keep it low enough to draw the kitty's attention, but high enough to keep it out of her/his reach.

Also helpful … patience... a lot of patience …

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Take lots of pictures. Lots and lots of them, because that gives you a better chance to get one that isn't blurry. You can always delete the ones you don't like. Getting pictures while they're sleepy is always good. And I often use distractions; my cat will look away from the camera, but I might use a toy or treat to get her attention so she'll look at me again.

Another strategy: recruit a helper! Have someone else take the photos while you distract the kitty. That's the only way I can get videos of my cat's backflip trick that she'll only do while we're playing, since I can't man the toy and the camera at the same time effectively.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lots of photos is the first step, I tend to take one good one for every ten bad ones. Good lighting is the second step. I tend to prefer natural lighting. Black cats don't turn out good with flash, too much reflection, and natural light or a direct light over them is your best option. Black and White can work good with black cats with enough light.

I'll snap my fingers or use a toy to get the cats to look at a specific target. Get down on their level with the camera so the angle isn't a super high one. I use my phone mostly and my cats are super comfortable with it because it is usually around, if you are going to use an actual camera turn off the shutter sound and take a couple throw away photos just to get your cats used to the focus sound and camera itself.

IMG_20180616_083504.jpg

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I seem to end up with a lot of shots of cat nostrils. There they are, looking cute. I get the phone ready, hold it in the right position...and they immediately stop whatever cute thing they’re doing, run up and stick their face in the phone. Voilà! Cat nostrils.

I do take a lot of pictures of the cats, though. The challenge is that you can’t sneak up on them! I always have my phone handy, though, and I find that there will usually be a few gems among the mass of snapshots.

KLDexter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Luckily Gigabyte is very food & play motivated so treats & toys usually do the trick for me. It's not always easy (especially when she's in an especially playful mood) but it's a little easier when you have a partner if you're trying to do an actual photo shoot. For candids I suggest doing them while they resting. Another tip is to have a fast shutter and take LOTS of pictures. I'm not sure if you're trying to use a phone or camera but if using a newer smartphone you can usually hold down the button to take a bunch of pictures. Chances are at least 1 will be good! If I'm trying to capture her doing something cute (like this morning when she was pushing an empty small garbage can throughout our apartment with her nose because she got a toy stuck in it) I usually just take a video on my phone rather than try and get a picture.

This is from her Gotcha Day. She explored our apartment and played with new toys most of the day so I had to wait until she pooped herself out to get a good pic to send to our family back in Illinois.

This was our 1st attempt at a "photo shoot" (I am in NO WAY a professional but photography is something I enjoy) with her when she was only 5 months old. I was trying to do it by myself and she did not want to cooperate at all but she's just so darn cute I managed to snap a few in the seconds she stayed still.

By winter she had gotten a little better and I timed our Christmas card "photo shoot" when she was a little more on the tired side and was happy to be in bed. Don't get me wrong, there are still a LOT of bad, blurry pictures from that day but I managed to get a few good ones! (This is my favorite picture of her ever)

This day I was snapping pics of her on my lunch break as she woke up from a nap and managed to get this cute 1 of her yawning with my phone.

For her first birthday this June we had a little help from my husband although I might've been able to get a better shot alone because he seemed to be more of a distraction to her at times but, again, we got a couple of decent ones.

This was just a candid I took the other day after we were able to take her cone off (she had to have surgery :/) and she was just chilling with me on the sofa.

Good luck and happy snapping! :)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have an iphone - Live photos are the best! Either that, or a burst setting on any camera. Since it takes a series of photos, the you can pick the one that is clearest.

Having a good point and shoot or real DLSR camera is good for quality, not so much for kitty actions like shoving their face in the phone.

Oh and make sure the lens is clean lol or you get one of these:

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Spray n pray - set my phone camera on sports mode so i can take a lot of pics quickly without them being blurry.

Get down on their level rather than standing over them aiming your camera down

Have a treat or toy or something of interest in your hand to focus their attention for close ups :)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Get down on their level rather than standing over them aiming your camera down
I agree about getting on their level. I’ve gotten some of my best shots that way. I also tend to get a lot of cat nostrils that way because as soon as I get on the floor with them and get set for the photo, they come running up to me! :lol:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your kittens are outdoors yet, I'd spend as much time as you can with them out in the garden and just really watch them, as you can get some incredible shots from them playing and just sitting still. This can also apply for the indoors, but I agree that it's a bit difficult with particularly lively kittens. I also agree about getting on their level - I've got great whisker and nose shots from that!
Playing with them whilst you have your phone in hand is also great - that's how I got most of Toffee's kitten photos as he was (and still is) energetic, so needs to be occupied as he's not one to sit still for long.
Most of my photos are of Toffee and Fudge sleeping, though!