Time frame for FHV flare up

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are going into week 4 of Sebastian’s herpes virus flare up with conjunctivitis being the main symptom. He has been treated with an antibiotic shot, anti inflammatory meds and Isathal gel for his eye to deal with any possible secondary bacterial infection. I see some minor improvement with the amount of redness but his eye remains swollen and teary. What is the average time frame for fiare ups? Usually his have resolved in less than two weeks in the past. Also- do any of you put an e-collar on a cat dealing with this form of conjunctivitis? The vet didn’t think he needed it and he washes his eye with his paw but infrequently and gently. We’ve kept him seperated from his brother so there’s no grooming and contamination but they really miss being together all the time and I’d love to see an end to this 😢

IMG_2317.jpeg

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your kitty has feline herpes, you want to avoid steroids as much as possible because steroids suppress the body's immune system. I would ask the vet for some eye drops such as Gentamicin. You could also use chamomile tea to soothe the eye, if your kitty will tolerate it. Steep a chamomile tea bag in boiling water, wring out, then allow to cool. Using a cotton ball or soft cloth, dab the liquid ON the area around the eye, especially in the corner to soothe the eye. If possible, lay the cloth over the area for a few minutes. I don't think there's a need for a cone, but what the vet has done so far isn't working. You should see improvements in about 72 hours.