Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave her the only cat

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, every one who has been following my posts.
Fred-returned to no kill shelter-injured my shoulder, ear mites, fleas, etc..
Missy-Returned to no kill shelter- violent towards Sassy

This doesn't look good on rescue sites for PureBredCatRescue.org so they denied my application for PurrHarmony to match Sassy with a cat.

The breeders charge at least $1,200 for a kitten, I don't have the money at this time. Am I making this a big deal, for a purebred cat? If I'm going to look at this cat for 20 years, am I being selfish for wanting a purebred cat?

There are a few people selling kittens for $200 - $600 on pet classifieds.

Should I give up finding a cat for Sassy? How do I know she would benefit from having a cat?

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
are you selfish? who knows, but you're perhaps being unrealistic. you say you don't have the money for a purebred, so there's that. and the one you get may bully Sassy. or may attack you - after all, you're new and scary, and lots of kittens aren't well socialized, so they'll try and defend themselves till they feel safe with you, which can take days or weeks. then what would you do?

i can't see why you can't look at a beautiful mixed breed just as well as a purebred cat. i've had a couple cats who were amazingly beautiful, and neither were purebreds.

i've had 2 cats who definitely preferred to be the only cat. and we've had cats who preferred company.

how much time did you spend with each cat you got from the shelter? did you hang out with each one, pet them, revisit a day or two later and get to know them?

Adelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Once, when I was dog-sitting for some friends, a stray cat walked right up to me and rubbed against my legs. The giant great dane and huge black nightmare looking mixed dog just about went crazy, so aghast that this cat walked right past them, they didn't know what to do with themselves! But this cat was totally unfazed. He kept doing things like that for several days - he was so friendly. I knew he would make someone a good cat, just not me, because I had recently lost the only cat I had ever had, the one I got when I was 7 and had for 18 years... Also, he was very ugly I thought. His coat pattern reminded me of a cow. But he had such a good personality that I rescued him with the intention of finding him a family (not me). Of course, that never happened. I fell completely in love with this cat and him with me. He would lay on my chest or belly when I was watching TV or cuddle up beside my chest if I were laying on my side. One time when I was trying to watch TV with my head off to the side, he was laying on my chest with his head up on my shoulder (other side from the way I was looking.) He reached his paw up, placed it on my cheek and gently turned my face towards him, as if to say "pay attention to me!" I scratched around his neck a bit and went back to watching TV. He did this two more times before I got the hint and turned the TV off! lol He was by far the most loving and sweet cat I have ever had and also the most attached to me of all the cats I've had. It didn't take long after I brought him home before I didn't see the "ugly" anymore, I saw the cat I loved to death and to me, he was so handsome! Same thing with the one year old long hair cat I have now. Initially I thought her coat pattern was just as blah as blah could be, but I love her so intensely that I think she's just the cutest thing ever!

Moral of the story? When you really love a cat, their looks don't matter.

If I were you, I'd focus more on finding a cat with the right personality - one that will complement you and Sassy and complete your little family. If you really love the cat, you're not going to be looking at it 20 years from now thinking how ugly it is - you'll be looking at it thinking how much you love it, how cute its belly is, how fluffy it looks, how you just want to hug it, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found a breeder, and put a deposit down. I found the money. I can't stand seeing pictures of Persians and not having a Persian. I'm buying one. Hopefully, he isn't a holy terror. Now I will take a while to consider boy names after I spend some time with him.