Tiki Cat

drexelspivey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have four cats that I've always fed Fancy Feast. I've heard good things about Tiki Cat and am giving it to them for the first time tonight. Gave them a tasting menu, 2 in a pouch and 2 canned. None of them will touch the pouch ones, even my chubby one who'll eat anything looked at me like WTF. They tolerated the canned ones. Do they all have defective taste buds because the reviews I've seen say cats love Tiki Cat

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly I can say that my girl doesn't eat any canned food I have tried sooooo many brands all ranging in flavor and consistency and each time I have tried she never even tried it... I think my girl has defective taste buds lol
All jokes aside it could just take a little bit of a transition period for your babies.
Do they cary Tiki Cat in the same flavor and consistency as the Fancy Feast that they already eat?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have four cats that I've always fed Fancy Feast. I've heard good things about Tiki Cat and am giving it to them for the first time tonight. Gave them a tasting menu, 2 in a pouch and 2 canned. None of them will touch the pouch ones, even my chubby one who'll eat anything looked at me like ***. They tolerated the canned ones. Do they all have defective taste buds because the reviews I've seen say cats love Tiki Cat
My cat Maggie likes certain textures. Pouches she would not like too smooth. She likes pate but only if it has pieces of meat

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats have gone back and forth on Tiki for years! Their shreds in broth are great food but not if the cats won't eat them.

If you're looking for a smooth pouch food, our cats do pretty well with Nulo chicken/duck mousse. It's expensive but the pickier cat loves it so it stays on the menu because it's one of the few wet foods she'll eat consistently.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have four cats that I've always fed Fancy Feast. I've heard good things about Tiki Cat and am giving it to them for the first time tonight. Gave them a tasting menu, 2 in a pouch and 2 canned. None of them will touch the pouch ones, even my chubby one who'll eat anything looked at me like ***. They tolerated the canned ones. Do they all have defective taste buds because the reviews I've seen say cats love Tiki Cat
I tried my two late cats with Tiki cat and two of my current cats with Tiki cat and not one of them liked it. I couldn't get them to eat either can, pouch or even the tube sticks!

They will eat Wureva and I feel like that's so close.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats can be finicky eaters. Luckily for us there are many different brands out there. I've also tried Tikicats before and my cats didn't like them much. I've had some good responses with Wellness and Weruva. Now I feed them Wellness.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Neither of my cats have liked any of the Tiki foods that I have tried on them. And they only like one or two of Weruvas varieties. What I wouldn't give to have a non-picky eater :rolleyes2:

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our girl very much enjoyed the Tiki After Dark chicken and lamb. She will only eat shredded or minced meat with good gravies.

CyberTiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking of trying Tiki Cat myself. My cat currently rotates between Tiny Tiger and Fancy Feast pates for all her meals. Has had some other cheap brands (Whole Hearted, Friskies), but that's it for as long as I've had her. It'd be out of my budget to feed Tiki Cat all the time, but to have something better & different here and there seems like a nice idea. (If I got turned into a cat, I think I'd like to have some shreds and quail eggs once in a while.)

I was thinking of introducing it slowly, like 1/8 of a chicken can with her usual lunch 1/2 pate for a few days and slowly up it after if she likes it. Maybe start with their pates since that's what she's used to eating.

I imagine if you're used to eating only certain types of things for a long time, a different taste/sight/smell can be too big of a change to jump right into. We humans are like that, too, and not just with food. But everybody has their own taste preferences, too.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention previously that Chewy makes food that's very similar to Tiki's shreds: https://www.chewy.com/s?query=landmark chicken shreds&nav-submit-button=
One of our cats doesn't like that sort of food at all (at least right now) and the other frequently changes her mind about them but they've generally preferred the Chewy food to Tiki food. We've fed the chicken food, chicken & veg food, and chicken & turkey food.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I imagine if you're used to eating only certain types of things for a long time, a different taste/sight/smell can be too big of a change to jump right into. We humans are like that, too, and not just with food. But everybody has their own taste preferences, too.
This is very helpful for some cats and an excellent idea if you're looking to give a little.

My cats are used to food rotations and eat Wureva which has similar textures. Will not touch Tikicat. It's quite odd. I even tried the proposed method above.

So I'd recommend just getting a can or two, not a case. Tikicat seems hit or miss.

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Buddy loves his tiki cat. He gets the After Dark venison with beef liver. I have also recently tried the sardines in sardine consomme for a treat (and to hopefully help with his constipation). He loves the venison with beef liver - its very consistent in quality. I have noticed that certain times of year, like now until the end of the year - it goes out of stock for a long period (probably hard to source the venison). I just stock up extra while they have it available to tide me over. He gets Lotus venison stew and pork stew as well. Amazon and Chewy both sell the Tiki After Dark Venison, although both are showing out of stock right now.

Buddy is allergic to chicken, so we haven't tried any other Tiki Cat varieties.

The sardines are awesome. Very expensive but I just give him a little bit per day. Its actually chunks of sardine (with the skin on) in sardine consomme. There are thickeners, but no other proteins or anything else. 100% sardine and sardine broth.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i always crumble up some of the freeze dried treats graycie likes onto any new wet food i offer her works kinda after few cans wasted or ignored etc.i think alot of its the texture of the food

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is not a super picky eater, but she will not TOUCH Tiki Cat in any form, so it is possible. Of course, maybe she has defective taste buds too, because, yeah, people report that their cats like it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Pouches have too much liquid in them. Not enough meat. So my cat Maggie does not like pouches. She does like weruva pouches because it has more shredded meat in it

CyberTiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention previously that Chewy makes food that's very similar to Tiki's shreds: https://www.chewy.com/s?query=landmark chicken shreds&nav-submit-button=
One of our cats doesn't like that sort of food at all (at least right now) and the other frequently changes her mind about them but they've generally preferred the Chewy food to Tiki food. We've fed the chicken food, chicken & veg food, and chicken & turkey food.
Thanks for this! I think I might start here as a next step.

The recent couple of reviews for the Landmark regular chicken version having gray slime was a little concerning to read. But I imagine that's a can damage issue, and I'm really careful about checking cans.