Tiki Cat born carnivore dry food?

FreyaTheTabby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Obviously wet food is the best & I do plan on always giving my girl wet food every day too. However, for times I'm not home during the day or when I'm sleeping at night, is this a good dry food I could leave out for her?
20230905_140448.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I think it is a pretty decent product, I like all the references to chicken in the ingredient list.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did a taste test with a number of cats and various lower carbohydrate foods and Tiki cat (Born Carnivore Light) was high on the like list.

It is below 20% carbohydrate content, which is ideal for cats that might be prone to blood sugar spikes. And the lower the carb content, generally the higher the protein content. A protein content above 35% is suggested to help build and keep lean muscle mass, especially in older cats or cats with health issues such as hyperthyroidism (all stuff I've been researching since one of our cats has Hyperthyroidism and another now has Diabetes).
I wouldn't suggest this food for a truly diabetic cat (Wysong Epigen 90 or Young Again are better dry foods) but it could potentially help prevent insulin resistance?
Anyways, I think it is a good food!

Carb content on a dry matter basis is listed as 15.3% (most dry foods are over 30%)
Carbs from calories (ME) I think are around 20%
Protein is 43% as fed and 38.6% from calories (metabolizable energy or ME)
Fat is 19% as fed and 41% ME

The first 4 ingredients are from animal products and the fat is also animal-based so that is considered more digestible/usable for cats. 80% of the protein is animal-based.
The Tapioca and Peas can be higher in starch, but this isn't an issue for a healthy cat.
No artificial colors or flavors (the flavoring is natural chicken flavor)

Ash is listed at 2.3% with Magnesium at 0.13% which some people take into consideration for urinary tract health.
Phosphorus is listed as 1.75% and Calcium is 3.58% (important for kidney health in some cats).

Calories are 3.8 per gram or 482 per cup

Wet food is best, but I do agree that since cats like multiple small meals per day (it is best for their blood sugar, etc) that finding a good dry food for when you are away is helpful.