Tickles testimony(overcoming pneumonia)

seriousbrotha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to post here and celebrate one of my loves and give someone hope/inspiration of what to do for your feline when vet visits are not affordable and the cat is dealing with a serious illness:

Now we are in week 5 of almost completely healing from pneumonia, but it did not start out as such. Thought it was a cold after a couple weeks, but after I saw Tickles wheezing when breathing, I became desperate and here's what happened;

Initially,
Tried a 1/8th top of burdock root..no result
Tried homeopathic nose remedy from amazon...no result
Tried earth animal cough wheeze sneeze...no result
Gave Tickles small amounts of camu camu supposedly to activate antibodies in system..no result

From weeks 2 to 5..I pretty much did not sleep and watched her around the clock. Decided to hand feed wet food and give several tsps of water..at these times she was receptive. The congestion was extremely bad, but I knew this would not be enough.. I have lived through national medicine for almost 30 years and pretty much spent day and night cross referencing non toxic remedies safe for cats...

Purchasing some of the brands named mentioned was getting me.nowhere fast, so I purchased some colloidal silver known for killing viruses and pathogens and some hawaii pharm respiratory support I was excited. The latter did not work and the silver helped a little, yet Tickles was still wheezing and heavily congested. Even tried cat coupage pounding firmly on chest to loosen mucus
.no results

My reading took me in another direction and I purchased L Lysine yet from reading several threads online, it sounded like it would be weeks before any results so that was out even though I tried it for a week.

In the last 7 days, I only focused on reading natural medicine known for breaking up and thinning mucus. The Stat quo stuff online about humidifiers and put in shower does not work. Neither did vetrx nose drops. While feeding Tickles manually, I was also nasal rinsing her nose with a syringe and clear water several times a day for her to breathe.

Here's what has worked for a bad case of pneumonia in the last week.

1)tumeric powder. She received 2 large separate.doses by mouth several hours. I cried for almost an hour because it was first breakthrough The spice acts as a bronchialdialtor and 80% of her wheezing stopped immediately. No she did not like the taste. After 2 days, most of the nasal congestion was not there.

2) liquid fennel. This bottle was setting in my cabinet and was not aware of its mucus busting properties until performing cross reference searches online. I started out with 2 half syringes and immediately she was sneezing and coughing productive mucus that was white yellow and light green. The tumeric reduced most or all of the inflammation so it was just a process of finding something to go deep into her lungs to break up mucus. From this point, I would use fennel maybe 3 to 4 times a day. This along with any of the other meds would oit Tickles to sleep but I knew fennel was working and had enough for a couple weeks, yet one can never be satisfied. Fennel was not enough for me, so I searched several hours for other items to break up and thin mucus

3)Andrographis
This came up in my search and remember having it on ha d for any sign of a cold..similar to oil of oregano except this is not toxic to cats. When it came in the mail this week,.Tickles spot out most but took in a little and went to sleep. In the last 48 hours, the lung congestion has greatly improved and there has been some secretion. Andrographis secrets mucus through the skin and the stool and I believe this is happening forr her. However, her next few does of this Indian medicine will be in a 4pz bottle from natural ma and administered by mouth to get right into the blood stream

4)Plantain
This appeared to be the most powerful herb for Tickles circumstance to do a clean.sweep of the lungs having thr ability to pull mucus from the issues..kinda like chaparral but.not as.bitter. Today 3/12 was first dose. 2 1/8ths tsp and Tickles.went to sleep, but when she is awake she is walking g around with the other cays, scratching the cardboard, and able to sniff and eat dry food as well. The last couple days she has restorative normal breathing

I know she is going to be OK and will not experience this again. She is 6 and has never been remotely under the weather.

If it was not plantain, it would have been a Cale full tincture that has same effect. I decided against using licorice root extract because it actually creates mucus in the stomach which is not good. For a few days to a week, I will use the andrographis tincture and have plantain as a backup. There are some stories on YouTube and reddit about carers giving up on pets because the vet is having hard time trying to treat it with clavamox zithromycn and steroid shots...

I am so glad Tickles was able to rebound from this, and for the next person searching this site looking g for a feasible alternative to several experts sive screening tests and a trachea wash/flush and can draw strength and determination.from my posting

For tickles.....

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you SO much for your report! I will be writing ll this down fro future use. My cats too have been going through such a horrible time with mucous buildup in their lungs, I tried so many remedies with no results, hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth. Finally took them into the vet and they are better now though still on lasix and steroids. every time we try backing off the steroids they get worse. I will definitely keep this for future use and have it on hand.I will clear it with my vet. Many times there comes a time when the vets do all they can, this is one more thing to try.....

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am reading your post and wondering why no one pointed me here considering I posted about Merlin having pneumonia.
I’m so happy that your baby recovered. I’m wondering how you know she had pneumonia did you do an x-ray? Because you really need to do that also, cats or people even with pneumonia don’t don’t usually have nasal congestion.

Merlin‘s pneumonia seem to have come on suddenly and we don’t know what caused it. He does not have a fiv or felv. They gave him a steroid shot and he’s still on clava amoxicillin.

he seems uncomfortable and his breathing a little fast on and off, but he does not seem to be in respiratory distress. However, he is not eating at all since the night he went there. They had to sedate him to do the x-ray. I’m wondering if that just threw him for a double whammy. he has been on mirataz gel to stimulate appetite but it’s not working and what seems to be happening is he walks up to his food and does not want to eat it- it’s almost like he can’t smell it. So maybe his nose is congested? I don’t know I don’t hear anything in his nose I just hear gurgling in his lungs when he purrs. No wheezing.

I have just been trying to get him to eat that paste that has some protein and supplements that I got from the vet and some licky treats but he doesn’t even want to eat them now at first he was eating the Licky treats when he got his antibiotic. He has licked the gravy off some wet food in the first couple of days. He hasn’t done that he he seems worse about the eating yesterday and today so

yesterday when we woke up, he did eat like four pieces of dry food but now today he has not eaten anything. I let him walk around the house quite a bit yesterday and he was downstairs and I just blasted the heat…because I know it’s good for you to walk around when you have pneumonia.

then I brought him back up to my room when I went to sleep and he sleeps under the bed or on the bed at some point when I woke up, he came out on the bed and sat on my legs because the other cat Quinn was there in his place.

I have been on the phone with the doctor every day. I was supposed to get cerenia today to see if that would help in case he’s nauseous but I didn’t wake up in time to get there.

I’m gonna have to look in my cupboard and see if I have any leftover cause I’ve had other cats that took that too.

He was talking about giving him convenia which I said no way because one of my cats died from that. And then he was saying maybe he doesn’t even have pneumonia because he’s not responding!

now I’m just very confused because I’m wondering if it could be heart disease he wanted me to send out the x-ray to a radiologist to review, but that was gonna cost $250 and I said no because I don’t trust them to be able to diagnose anything since everything that’s happened with all of my cats.
We are going to do a recheck on Tuesday x-ray and I’m going to be there with him because I’m not letting them sedate him again obviously. I’m just wondering if I should do it tomorrow instead. They gave me the name of an emergency hospital that I can take him to as well.

He was also talking about heart-worm and how that could cause these symptoms and they can do a blood test for that or and or an ultrasound. the ultrasound can’t be done until Friday.

I can’t go through another week of worrying about him not eating and what the heck is going on with him.
Right now he is sitting on my bed. He was breathing fast and now he’s a little slower and he’s washing himself a bit so hopefully he’s going to perk up. I was so depressed after talking to the doctor yesterday I was like he must really have cancer and he’s gonna die.

I would like to try some of those things that you mentioned but I’m really worried about giving him anything that’s gonna make him worse. Maybe I will try the one that is an anti-inflammatory- turmeric, if I can get some of that. I don’t know what the dose would be for a cat. Can you use the turmeric that’s in a spice jar?

I just don’t know how I’m gonna get that in him I would have to put it in that gel paste they gave me. I gave him some Pepcid yesterday to see if that would help him to eat and I put that in the gel paste. I’m not sure how much got in him.

I don’t really understand why they’re not using Lasix as well. He said there was a lot of fluid, if he really has heart disease he needs to be on Lasix and you’re not supposed to use a steroid with heart disease. I have prednisilone at home but I don’t wanna give him that in case it’s really heart disease.

I have not done anything like nebulizing him. I was talking to the doctor about that yesterday and they said I could use the aero cat with the albuterol but I can’t find the one I used for Sybil now, so I’m probably gonna have to order one.

I have to search more for it. when she was using that, she had heart failure and eventually the cardiologist we went to said don’t use any of that it’s bad for her heart, but if he has pneumonia, it could help him breathe. I was using that when I had double Covid pneumonia.

my brother was thinking if it is pneumonia it could be a fungal, pneumonia too. However, antibiotic usually has an inflammatory so it should help any type of pneumonia on some level at least.
Before all of this happened he has been losing weight on a diet and he was hanging out in the garage a lot and my studio looking for mice- it was freezing there, so I’m wondering if he breathed some thing in and there like a mold or something I don’t know.

I’m just wondering if it’s cancer and that was why he was losing weight and it was not because of the diet or it could still be heart disease I don’t know it seems like this is going to be another case where I spend hundreds to thousands of dollars and they still have no clue what’s wrong with my cat. That’s happened to me so many times, in fact almost every time, and then my cat dies after all of that.

Last edited: