Thursdays Question of the Day 5.29.14

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Morning all!

my mind is a total blank right now. It's a cold dreary day, work is slow today.. I am trying to keep myself busy by translating Ghost Face packages into French, then Spanish. boring. I love Ghost Face though, he's a cool character in the movie SCREAM.

My question to you is.. Who's your favorite horror/halloween character?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, I kind of hate horror of any kind, though my twin sister loves all things horror.
That said, I like the ones that have some humanity in them. (Possible spoiler alert): Godzilla in the newly released movie looks bad but really had a good heart.
I also really liked the movie Edward Scissorshands , one of the first movies Johnny Depp was in.
And Wolf with Jack Nicholson was one of the best horror movies I've seen, well done. My twin sister saw it alone, raved about it, and I finally rented it.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hrm... I really like watching horror movies, but I don't think I really have a favourite character. A lot of the time, it ends up kind of.. humorous? I think children make great scary characters though. Insanely creepy.

They're the farthest thing from horror, but I think the kodama from Princess Mononoke are pretty creepy... more in their movements. I like kaonashi (no face) from Spirited Away too. Not inherently a bad character, wants to help and return kindness, ends up happy, but he's creepy! The relatively featureless faces...

Plus, his mouth is actually lower than his mask, lol..

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't watch horror movies. But my favorite character is Jack Skellington from The Nightmare Before Christmas.  

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE horror movies!  The Saw series are my favorite.  I like the "lessons" John Kramer (Jigsaw) tries to teach...it's so much better than just blood and gore for me.  I also liked Se7en and other movies for the same reason.  Actually, I think I read that Se7en was part of the inspiration for the Saw movies.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm old school since I am probably the oldest person here.  Anyway the scariest movie I ever saw was Psycho, Norman Bates scared the heck out of me.  I now watch the TV series Bates Motel which shows Norman growing up and how weird his and his Mother's relationship was, bringing him to eventually killing her and hiding her body in the basement and taking over her personality.

When I was a  kid Frankenstein's Monster really frightened me, I would hide my eyes every time he came on screen.  I couldn't even watch the Munsters for a long time, yeah I know I was a big baby.

Dracula and most of those movies scared me too, as I said those were the movies that were made back then and not the slice and dice movies they make a lot of today.  I don't like those bloody movies, 

All in all back then horror movies were my fav's.

Last edited:

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dracula and most of those movies scared me too, as I said those were the movies that were made back then and not the slice and dice movies they make a lot of today.  I don't like those bloody movies,
Gore seems to be big nowadays - if it's not gory, I guess it's not scary. I hosted a horror movie night with a few friends, and it was "Asian horror movie", but not the kind that gets ported over to North America for remakes like The Ring. All of the scares were psychological. They made you think. It wasn't bloody. It wasn't hack and slash. It wasn't what was shown - it's what was implied. My friends were not pleased.

When I was confiding with my 65 year old professor about how I picked the wrong friends and they ruined my movie night (lol), he suggested to me a series of shorts called Kwaidan - there is no blood shed, and it's an old Japanese movie from the 1960s, so there are very limited special effects. It's just haunting and eerie. They knew how to use silence, and they knew how to toy with the mind - not with the eyeballs.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
None!  I don't do scary movies. lol

Wait; does Casper count?  I liked that Casper movie with Christina Ricci that came out when I was a teen.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
These days the word "horror" seems to be synonymous with slash-and-guts. Not my idea of horror at all and I don't watch any of them anymore. Never saw any of the Halloween movies or any of the movies like that.