Thursdays Question of the Day 5.1.14

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Morning everyone!

We had a blast of rain all day yesterday.. you know what they say, April Showers Bring May Flowers!

On that note.. Do you garden? flower or vegetable garden?

I hope my condo will have a personal balcony or porch where I can plant some potted plants!

Last edited:

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l love, love, love creamy white Calla Lilies. Of course, l can't have them in my house...

Outside l only plant flowers since my back yard is so tiny. And l plant mostly for foliage. l love seeing the different colours and textures planted together.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't garden. I live in an apartment, so I just tend to a few potted plants around the bird room. My parents have a garden back home where they grow flowers (we got tulips for sure, and some roses) and they've also planted tomatoes, green onions, and ginseng with success. Although to be fair, the ginseng won't be ready for another like, seven years... so I'm not sure if I can call it a success yet.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be more into gardening, but school has taken up so much of my time that I've not done much of it in recent years.  I've done a lot of cleaning up recently outside (trimming limbs, etc.) and this summer I hope to replace some of the plants that have died off due to the hard winter we had here.  I miss having pretty plants. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
DH is the one with the green thumb in our family (and he tells me to keep away from the plants, knowing that I have anything but a green thumb). He's into vegetables, fruit, shrubs and flowers and can spend hours pottering around in his greenhouse.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No gardening (renting apartment), but my mom likes gardening in our house back home. I want to pick up gardening once I have my own place.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have an acre in the middle of town and it's taken 5 years but we are close to having it look like a park. I've got a lot of stone islands for berms and flower areas tucked everywhere. We've planted over 30 trees around and all different kinds of bushes.I've got wildflower areas and a huge garden plot too! We spend most of our time caring for it during the summer, between the weeds and the moles I've got my hands full. AND we've been in a drought, and still are, we just have received 2 inches since the beginning of the year and are 3 inches below normal already. Everybody but us got rain in the last few days!

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No... we have black thumbs (vs green) and seem to kill every plant or flower known. Plus AZ is so hot...

We need to get 2 trees for outside and I am scared we will kill them.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I garden. My passions are cats, gardening and baking.
Mostly I flower garden. I do have a small herb garden and I grew my first tomatoes this year. I am much better with my flower garden. I just love it. :clap:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No much. We do have some pretty rose bushes, day lilies, irises, Camelia bushes, some crepe myrtle trees and dogwoods. That stuff really doesn't need much gardening. I like to put some potted plants on my front porch in the summer. I don't put any on the back porch because that is Mattie's little corner of the world.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We have quite a few flower gardens and a vegetable garden. :)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in an apartment but have some green stuff on my windowsill. My DiL gardens and my mum did too.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grow roses.  Sometimes, heirloom tomatoes.  This year, because of being injured and about to have surgery I'm forgoing the tomato route.  Too exhausting to deal with because we grow them in large pots due to space and sunlight constraints on my property.  The roses are fairly self-sufficient at this point.  We have an underground sprinkler system, and I don't have to mess with them other than fertilizing and pruning here and there.  I have a lot of hydrangeas including an ancient hydrangea tree too.  And various other perennials around the area.  Put in lavender last summer and was terrified it wouldn't come back as we aren't in the right zone for it really but, lo and behold, it seems to be making a decent re-show.  

I'd do more if I had more energy and space (small yard) but honestly, as long as I can have my roses I'm happy.  Hoping they also survived this past winter without too much damage.  Hard to tell thus far.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We have a small truck patch in the rear of the back yard, probably about 25 x 50 feet maybe. I'm not really sure. Every year when we till it out, we add a few more feet. Broccoli, green beans, yellow beans, corn (
 deer and raccoons!), lots of tomatoes, lots of different peppers, zucchini and yellow squash, and cucumbers. A few potatoes and some carrots. This year, we're adding some onions. And some butternut squash. We have a nice strawberry patch and some blueberry bushes. I can some (mainly different pickles, but also some chutney, some honey-glazed red onions, and some salsa), freeze most of it, and we dehydrate, too. 

We have a few flowerbeds around the house, nothing really fancy or exotic.