Three-week Old Kitten Gasping For Air Due To Cold

cly1212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have this 3-wk old kitten whose got a cold and now having trouble breathing (now through his mouth). Is there any way to ease his breathing any position to lay him down. or maybe a way to suck out the mucus or anything. He can still hold himself up but his mouth is turning white now, and obviously he hasn't feed from his mother too.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he seen a vet yet? Open mouth breathing and white gums is serious. He probably needs oxygen, IV fluids and definitely needs nutrients if he has not fed from his mother. A kitten that age needs medical intervention now.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he seen a vet yet? Open mouth breathing and white gums is serious. He probably needs oxygen, IV fluids and definitely needs nutrients if he has not fed from his mother. A kitten that age needs medical intervention now.
I agree 100%!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes its Red Alert. If you have access to any decent vet its the best chance...asap.

Of home treatment. Breathing wapor helps sometimes. Put the shower on with hot water...

Give fluids with glucose sugar. In practice it will be water with white caro syrup or honey. Say a teaspoon in 150 ml water = coffe cup.

If he cant drink smear a sweeter solution on lips and gum.

Be sure kitten is warm. Massage it. C cly1212

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put kitty in the bathroom with the shower on. Do not put the kitty in the shower.

Sorry StefanZ, that wasn't quite clear in your post. I hope you will do the same for me in the future.