Three Needy Kittens

TheDepthsAndSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I searched via topic and through all of September's postings, but haven't found an answer to my dilemma...

I have a small litter (3) of bottle baby kittens, aproximately 3 weeks old. They're no longer content to eat and sleep, but instead have been showing lots of confidence walking and exploring when given 'outside time' from.their nest. They're beginning to show interest in balls and scratching surfaces, occasionally nipping or (trying to) pouncing on a sibling. They're even reliably using a litterbox!

My problem is that they are beginning to cry incessently. They are seeking lots of attention from me (demanding to nurse every 2ish hours) and I'm trying to satisfy them, but eventually must put them back in the nest to go to work /make dinner /sleep/ etc.

I DO have another litter of kittens who will be weaning shortly, but Momma Cheeky rejected these newcomers last week...

Today, I gave momma some alone time and my bottle babies had some play time in the nursery where they received lots of sniffs and cleaning from our older set of kittens (5 and 7 weeks old). The older kittens were incredibly gentle with my bottle babies, and the babies were content to wander and 'play'. When they got sleepy, I returned them.to their nest...

What else can I do to socialize and satisfy my bottle babies? Should I attempt to sloooooooowly reintroduce them to Momma?

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try some reintroduction but mama is probably ready to be done nursing. Also, are you crate training your bottle babies? At that age, I would lock them up for a nap as well as at night time ( give a good dose of rousing play followed by a good meal). I use a medium size dog crate with a box on its side so they can sleep in or on it. I do include a small litter box and a dish of fresh water (I like the dishes that attach onto the door). I tell them that it is time for a nap & then I cover the crate with a large bath towel to reduce outside stimulation.
I offer the baby bottle only in the morning now but only 1 kitten really wants it. My little crew was born on or about July 22. Most people wean earlier but I leave it up to the individual kitten.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try leaving a plate of kitten kibble in the nest. If they are using the litter box, then they are old enough to be teething. They may be hungry, even after the bottle, and this will also help them with teething.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would try introductions again. Even if mom doesn't like them and won't let them nurse, they can learn from the older kittens and get more stimulation. You might also want to see if they will try wet food as well, or even a KMR/wet food slurry. Although weaning age is normally 4-5 weeks old for orphans, i've had plenty of kittens who loved wet food at 3 weeks old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheDepthsAndSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of the bottle babies are freakin' loving to teeth on the dry kitten kibble, and two of them dove into the pate food that was offered to them!!! Yay! Unfortunately, our smallest one (Blue) has shown no interest in the pate.

Today at lunch time I lined momma's kennel with a used blankie from the baby nest, and popped her in (I usually feed momma her wet ration in the kennel so she doesn't steal from her own kittens). After everybody was done eating, I brought the babies into Cheeky's nursery for play time. Little Blue is not as outgoing as her two siblings, and crawled into my brother's lap for comfort. The others 'played' just like yesterday. Momma has lain quietly all 3 times that I have had playdates, so after a good while I ler her out. As she walked past Little Red, who was exploring the food dishes, momma lashed out and nipped him on the ear. : Sigh: ... No injury, but I removed the babies from Momma's nursery immediately.

I know that momma is still occasionally nursing her brood(maybe 1-2x daily), both calling them to her and allowing the standing position, but she just doesn't like these tiny Intruders.

This should probably be a separate forum posting, but I'll ask it here first:

How does weaning work? Cheeky's oldest kids are all at the 2 pound mark and her adopted kittens are over 1 pound. I have to return the oldest ones to my shelter organization soon, but didn't want to distress anyone.

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:happycat: The kittens are adorable! Blue may have been conceived later than the rest (cats, like dogs, ovulate and conceive AFTER mating, so their offspring can be at different developmental stages & have different fathers) so perhaps still has more suckling reflex left as well as be behind in tooth growth. Thus, he may benefit from extra time nursing, even if with a bottle of kmr or goat milk.
Cheeky is doing the typical weaning thing - those tiny teeth are needle-sharp! Like people babies, comfort nursing at bedtime is the last phase of nursing for little ones to give up. Mammals who don't get nursing "out of their system" sometimes get the habit of trying to nurse on their toes, our earlobes, or suck on blankets or clothing. Sometimes you can offer them a knuckle or fingertip to use instead of dealing with bottles.:purr: