Those Of You In Rescue, Have You Noticed A Change?

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It just occurred to me, but there seems to be a change in the way people feel about black cats! Yesterday, we had 18 kittens up for adoption and our 7 black kittens were among the first chosen. We even had a foster mom bring in another black kitten because the adopter wanted 2. And we adopted out a black adult! Just one black adult left and no black kittens old enough to adopt. Did Black Cat Appreciation Day work its magic?

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm from the UK and not in cat rescue so I'm unaware of the Black Cat Appreciation Day although it wouldn't surprise me if your tongue-in-cheek guess is correct.
Any one old enough will remember when 'Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles' was all the rage and correspondent hike in the sale of real turtles. Sadly a lot of them were abandoned when the kids found out they were not like on the TV programme.
On a similar tack, I used to play snooker weekly and every time the world championships were featured on the TV, there was a temporary boom in folks playing snooker.
So, publicity does work but there can be a downside.

Topherius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It just occurred to me, but there seems to be a change in the way people feel about black cats! Yesterday, we had 18 kittens up for adoption and our 7 black kittens were among the first chosen. We even had a foster mom bring in another black kitten because the adopter wanted 2. And we adopted out a black adult! Just one black adult left and no black kittens old enough to adopt. Did Black Cat Appreciation Day work its magic?
I think it did work some magic. A few of the shelters I follow on facebook have also noted a nice increase in the adopting of black cats. One of them was actively promoting Black Cat Appreciation Day that day.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say black cats are still unpopular here. But they did have a clear the shelter day on Saturday and two black cats I helped rescue got adopted. I just rescued two black kittens this weekend. One of them is blind in one eye and will probably have the injured eye removed. So he's got two marks against him. :(

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:bigeyes: As the superstitions against black cats are explained away, people, especially the younger generation, are appreciating the beauty of black kitties, especially the sleek "panther looking" ones. Sadly, I still encounter folks, even teens, who worry if a black cat crosses their path. When I can, I remind them of the other silly superstitions, especially about left-handed people, spilled salt and pleasing the sun-spirits who cause the sun to come up the next day :lol: